Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage starwars arcade atari game.

Options
  • 04-04-2023 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Is there anyone on here that can point me in the right direction. I've picked up a vintage SW arcade game (not currently working) .Need to get someone who fixes old arcade games and try get this beauty working again. Tnks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭dav09

Is it complete? What is the issue with it? Also was this the one in Waterford a while back and where are you based? It's a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dogles

In dublin. Bought it from the north. Guy said it just stopped working. Looks like the original board was changed in the 90s for a desk top computer. It switches on and fans work inside computer but no visuals or sound. Still has original monitor . So i got a different monitor and hooked it up but still no sound or visuals so im thinking its in the computer and not monitor. Thats as far as i got. Was hoping i could replace the computer with a more modern desk top and maybe put all 3 SW games on it ? Its original atari machine from 1983. Tnks

Pictures not great ill add some tomorrow.

It looks to be an original cabinet which is great. The monitor doesnt look original unfortunately unless someone else says otherwise (Electrohome vector which would make sense as PC wouldn't work with it). I recently built a scratch build of the cockpit sitdown version of this game I did a build thread, it's a pity as if you were nearer I could definitely fix it. Also there is something plugged into the keyboard port (I would say I/O for a JPac or something), so that needs hooking up too. If you ever decide to sell it I'm sure loads would be queuing up (incl me!). Playing the likes of Return of the Jedi should be possible but the likes of EP1 has different controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

"Use the Force Luke"

Ah memories of playing this in the 80s.. sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,459 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's a really nice find. I'd

Are either of the monitors actually powering on? Are you getting a neck glow/black screen on the monitors?

If none of the above is happening then I'd say the issue is more likely to do with the monitors if you are hearing the PC starting up.

Can you take a photo of how the PC is actually connected to the cabinet?

Might also be a good idea to try to run the PC to another source like a VGA monitor just to see if it sends a picture to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭geotrig

monitor just looks like decased pc monitor but hard to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Bog standard VGA monitor with Mitsubishi tube in it.

I'd pull out the PC and see if that works on a bench, it's probably running a DOS mame version that'll auto boot the game.

Tbh the PC & monitor are worthless enough, the valuable piece is the controller interface and the cabinet.

I've worked on a lot of PC-Based Arcade systems from early 2000s (i.e. not mame) and I would say 90% of the issues I found is HDD or Ram. The odd time mainboard or GPU but those two I would test first.

Just watched your build. Looks great. My problem is i wouldn't no were to start. Just seen it and as i collect vintage starwars had to jump on it. Where are you located ? Could possibly being it ro you if your sure you could get it going. Im not to worried if it gets new monitor and pc as lo g as it worked and played like original game. Roe the value is in the cab which is 100% vintage.

• Advertisement

#For me#

Tried the pc with different monitor ,doing the same boot up fan sound but no visual or sound.

I believe the game you refer to us the one in the link. If so, it would be cheap and easy to replace the PC with a Raspberry Pi.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/star-wars-arcade-cabinet-the-magpi-105/

If it's a fairly easy fix I'll do if for free if you can get the cab to me, i.e. a just PC swap or something small (just cover parts). I'm based in Limerick, if you can't get it to me, if I'm passing by sometime might be able to drop by help as I help out a few arcades around the country with repairs, send me a DM. There's probably a few others too you'd never know who's nearby, there's a good community here.

Otherwise I could build you a kit that you could install but would cost a bit as would need to install a new yoke or for you to send me yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This community is great, lets get this thing working again.

Make Arcade Great Again

Advertisement