Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 287 Pereira vs. Adesanya 2

Options
  • 04-04-2023 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Another rematch that feels like it came round very fast. It feels like both Gastelum and Masvidal are both in must win fights, Masvidal to stay relevant, and Gastelum hasn't had a win over a ranked fighter in almost 5 years. I think Yanez will run through font handily.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Surely Adesanya finally beats him? Had him rocked only for the bell last fight but Pereira has some power.

Think Burns will beat Masvidal comfortably, probably fight Mcgregor for the BMF at some stage for a last money fight.

Love watching Font fight but could be out too long for this comeback fight.

Curtis was right, that fight definitely deserved main fight card.

Can't wait for it though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If Izzy plays it safe he should beat Pereira but the issue now is mental for him ,He can ay everything he likes but if deep down he thinks he can't beat Pereira he won't , Also not a fan of someone not having 6 months between fights after they have been stopped in the manor he was,

Burns beats Masvidal , Masvidal ranking amazes me he's a journey man , His only good win in 10 years is Diaz which was stopped due to a cut,

Till, Cowboy, Askren all decent names but for different reason's fights he should be winning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah I think Izzy could be mental now, especially losing 3 times to him and in both codes.

Masvidal just got lucky by stopping the hype train Till who ended up not being very good. Although he was a journeymen, I'm glad he became a big name as he had been fighting since he was about 16. Makes up for not winning a title anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think Burns will mangle Jorge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Can't see Adesanya getting past Pereira tonight although he must have some mindset to keep coming back for more.

Think Burns quietly deals with Masvidal and goes to a decision.

Spoiled for quality on that undercard too that had no hype on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Don't know how anybody could favour Adesanya against Pereira at this point. He's lost to him by unanimous decision and lost twice to him by knockout in fights he was winning on the scorecards.

If Pereira is ahead on the cards he will beat him on the cards. If he is behind he will push for a knockout and get one. Adesanya has had enough chances to prove he is capable of beating this man. He isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Curtis pts 12/5 hard to side with Gastelum or know what to expect but he does have some chin, fancy curtis to outwork him

Meerschaert sub 10/3 could get ko'd but Joe is new to the game and experience could

count for plenty if Meer can weather the early storm

Holland ko 2/1 fight is right up his street, should be able to pick Ponzi apart and when he wins it's nearly always inside the distance

singles on the first two doubles/treble at around 43/1 (hills)

I like Izzy in the main and I think Pereira might end up needing a finish to win this again but

It's not something I could bet on as the odds aren't great and anything could happen, would rather be betting on

this one in play

I'd like to see Pereira being more agressive from the start this time, not be needing a ko late on to win.

Burns surely beats Masvidal, time to put Jorge back to where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Great show from Gastelum. Always a banger whe he's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I have an uncomfortable relationship with MMA anyway but I’m pretty sickened to see unanimous adulation on Reddit for Adesanya’s post-fight antics. The arrow stuff is pathetic but what he did afterwards is vile.

After one of their kickboxing fights Pereira’s 7 or 8 year old son went into the ring (btw what the **** is your child doing watching you fight??) and while standing near Adesanya mimed hitting his head with a water bottle and falling to the ground. Adesanya doesn’t seem to notice.

Last night, the son who’s now probably early teens was at the fight and Adesanya, after brutally knocking out his father, went over to Pereira’s corner and mimed falling to the ground as payback. I find that utterly loathsome. I can’t even imagine the feeling of horror and fear on seeing your father stretched out on the canvas and for Adesanya to to show such disrespect at that moment and be congratulated for it makes me want to have nothing more to do with the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭barryribs

Great main event, it felt like one of them was going to be finished every time it went to the cage. Quite similar to the first fight but I'm surprised that Adesanya wanted to stand with him. His post fight antics were awful, even by his low standards.

Rob Font looked great, crisp boxing as always but I thought Yanez would test him more. Rosas has no business on the main card, he looked like a complete rookie against someone of a similar level.

Two more forgettable decisions in the women's fights and there has yet to be any KO/TKO this year across both women's divisions, in almost 20 fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Pereira was cruising that with the leg kicks before the KO, such is how it goes. That’s 3-1 now in all competitions overall, it’s also still crazy to me that Pereira is not competing in MMA that long and had that belt that quick.

They will just rematch yet again, and hold the division up for a few months.

Also, and just an observation here, 12 posts or so for a main UFC card…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I dunno dude. Dana said Alex was moving up which is probably best for the UFC and Izzy, because Izzy is one of their biggest stars and Dana would prefer him as champion. However it does mean their is not many obvious contenders for Izzy, Whittikar is the best of the rest but again ? Meh.

Strickland would have been a frontrunner if he had not lost to Jared and he seems content to move up also!

Du Plessis next seems the obvious option, a fresh opponent and a relatively safe fight for Izzy.

Plenty for Alex to do when he moves up, he v Jiri could be a banger .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Good win for Israel but wouldn't count Alex out in the inevitable rematch. He was well schooled in the first fight until he got the R5 stoppage, but he was actually fighting better in this fight from the get go. He mistakenly though Israel was on the ropes and it cost him.

Good card overall. Rob Font put on a legendary performance. Masvidal v Burns went exactly how I expected. Masvidal was always a decent scrapper but absolutely has nothing for high-level fighters. Though fair play to him for making bank on his character.

I’m stunned at how Alex makes weight, so I am with you in that regard. I do think there will be a rematch though, it’s pretty much set for at least another good PPV. If Alex just kept doing what he was, he was well on his way, which I reckon is what he would do if they rematch.

205 would be good for him as well, he is so big so the cut wouldn’t be as savage for him. Having said that I’d like to see him avenge this loss and then do 205.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think once Alex goes up to 205 especially at his age and how brutal the cut has been he will stay in that division, maybe Izzy may move up next year again who knows.

For now I think Dana will play it safe with Izzy so Dricus seems a boring but obvious next fight.

Masvidal as stated here and elsewhere deserves immense credit, average fighter who stretched out his 15 minutes of fame and made serious money, credit where its due. I suppose he may top up the bank balance v Jake in boxing next.

Also that Rojas kid should not have been facing someone as good as Rodriguez, took a proper beating and will need lengthy time off now.

Once he comes back just fed him mugs and sees how it goes no rush at all with him.

Izzy at 205 is really not that great, he was manhandled when he did it. It would be super ballsy for him to do that against Alex, maybe he would to prove a point?

As for what happens at 185, the only fight that interests me is the rematch really, but again that would hold up the division so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Brilliant ppv and what a win by Izzy, he put all those demons to bed, can’t even fathom the mental obstacles he had to overcome, for the celebration, absolutely brilliant, he isn’t apologetic for his personality and took his last defeat on the chin, he admits to being petty and it’s not like Alex has complained about it, he knows the deal, some snowflakes will always be more offended than the actual person being offended, the way it is these days.

I would like to see Alex win one fight against a wrestler or maybe even against Whitaker, winner gets Izzy, Izzy has cleared out the division so would look like DuPlesis unless they give Alex rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Good win for Izzy ,

He's a very cringey character & he had been saying in the build up how losing 3 times to Alex didn't bother him his reaction & the stuff he is saying after the fight prove it really really got under his skin , Great win for him,

I reckon they should do 1 more at MW , Just to set the record straight once & for all

Advertisement