Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Water - No idea of source

Options
  • 03-04-2023 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Moved into a house recently and noticed outside the front of the house a pipe running out which is constantly running water through it - not a huge amount but enough to make me wonder what it is.

I also notice our water pressure pump kick in every 10 mins or so even with no taps or anything on so am wondering if this escape of water is what's causing the pump to constantly represure.

We have solar panels on the roof - not sure if this is related.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be and what the source of the water is?

Some photos attached - first 2 are the outside pipe where is drips out and goes back into the house then above the porch. The rest is the hot press setup.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is there a stopcock valve in that water tank? Perhaps the valve is leaking and filling water to the tank, which when full then puts water out an overflow pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 egg102530

Thanks bucketybuck!

The water tank/pressure tank has its own overflow and that isn't taking any water into it.

The only thing I have narrowed down is if I turn off one of the stop cocks in the hot press (picture 3 right hand side) it stops the water flowing out of the pipe outside. It also stops the water tank kicking in. None of the hot taps have water coming through them any more but this is far as I can narrow it down at this stage. So seems to be something to do with the hot water. But heating / hot water is not on so wondering why water would be moving around at all, which is why I then wonder is it something to do with the solar panels...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭shane b

To me the small pipe looks like a condensate pipe from a boiler. Do you have a condensing boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 egg102530

Thanks for the help. It’s an unvented cylinder which had faulty pressure valve. Was constantly topping up tank and overflowing out the overflow pipe at front. That also caused water pump to kick in to repressurise. New valve sorted it all out

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GoingLinux

Where mixer taps/showers are connected to both mains/tank cold feed, and tank hot feed, a fault can arise where mains cold gets fed back up into hot (or vice versa). Is the leaking water dead cold or ever warm? Does it stop when certain taps are on? Didn't see fixed already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement