Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Public Charging Companies/Apps

Options
  • 02-04-2023 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I should be (hopefully) getting back into the EV world this week, and I'm starting with a near 200km journey home.

Back in the day, it was eCars and Chademo in my Leaf. So I knew exactly where I stood.

But nowadays there's all sorts of companies doing all sorts of stuff.

So I guess what I'm asking is...

How do I get a start on the public DC (CCS) network?

Are any companies better/worse/dearer/cheaper/more reliable than others?

Do you need a myriad of apps, or is there a one-stop-shop available?

Is there an app/website to plan your journey around charging points?

Are EVs still free on toll roads (have a toll tag from my PHEV)?

Anything else I should know?

Sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Are you getting access to any networks with the car? A lot of manufacturers have their own charging cards which should give access to the Ecars network

Other than Ecars, you got EasyGo, Applegreen and Ionity

Also Tesla superchargers, if you have a Tesla

I'd use A Better Route Planner to plan your route and see what networks are on your way home and you can download the apps in advance

What car did you get? Quite possible it'll make the distance without a charge

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I use plugshare to keep an eye on charging sites for my relatively few long journeys where I will need a public charge. I have the esb card and app, the elli one for vw products, monta (although ive never used it) and the ionity one. That does me fine.

Did Dublin to mayo on Friday, back Saturday, stopped at ionity athlone on the way there and the way back and that was it. About 45 mins each time but we got something to eat while there so it wasn't like hanging around or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for that.

She's an Ioniq28. If I take it handy, I'll be close enough to making it. Once I'm home, there'll be very few long journeys, so I mightn't take it easy coming home and test the charging network somewhere.

Plugshare. That's the thing I couldn't remember. Remembered ZapMap alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't use the tag for a different car on the tolls. If you can't change the reg to your new car online pay at the booths.

• Advertisement

Have changed the reg to the new one in the app. Hopefully it'll be transferred before Thursday. Will pay cash otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Resurrecting this thread as I can't seem to find another one.

We have the one for new locations but don't see another one for general discussion or guidance about visiting specific locations where people can offer suggestions and guidance.

There is a trip to KK planned and looking for a place to charge up while we are there. The shopping center seems like a good bet or otherwise the station but any advice appreciated. Will probably be there for two or three hours.

McDonagh Junction Shopping Center Kilkenny:

Plugshare saying 4 x type 2, no details for power but highest seems like 11kw on the reviews.

I am struggling with the app info - it says eo app but that is throwing up two options on android. Looking at them it seems like its the one with the white background and blue eo text but the reviews are not good. Needless to say they thoughts of another app is also annoying me but thats another story.

So any advice on McDonagh Junction or alternative locations where it would be conveninet to top up while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If you're looking for "fast" chargers, you need to set your Plugshare filter to CCS. Type 2 will only give you up to 11KW, as you have found, so use the filter and you may find others in Kilkenny that will suit.

Cheers - I know that but the McDonagh one was coveninet for where we are going

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭CivilEx

John's Green (ESB) is right beside it.

While you are in MacDonagh Junction Shopping Centre, take a picture of the chargers there and pop it onto Plugshare so that the next person has up to date information :) I generally try to avoid these chargers in Shopping Centers as a rule as you have the hassle of downloading yet another app, registering your bank details and then you wonder if it's going to work. I'd rather spend 10 - 15mins at the 150kW DC charger in the Kilkenny retail park on the way there as an example and then park where I want.

• Advertisement

I think you are right. Will have to make sure approriate walking footwear is worn along with suitable atire for a period of time outdoors.

Advertisement