Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis 99

Options
  • 01-04-2023 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Problem with my 1999 Toyota Avensis 1.6 petrol.I have a strong hum coming up from the gearbox. It goes when I press the clutch. 165,000 miles on it. I changed the gearbox oil. The old oil looks perfect. So I presume the gearbox is ok. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Probably clutch release bearing on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yeah, sounds very like the clutch release bearing. Once the noise changes when you press the clutch, that confirms it. Unfortunately, its a gearbox out to replace it, and when you are that deep into it, may as well change the clutch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would ask if the noise is there with engine running and car stationery as a clutch release bearing is noisy and just slightly pressing it noise changes.

This is not a hum when bearing issue is heard.

When driving the car is the sound changing if veering from side to side left to right.

If gearbox bearings were an issue it would be noisy under load .

Sometimes we got cars jacked up on the 4 poster ram and drive it with wheels off the ground and somebody would be underneath to see where noise was coming from , If dif bearings were going driveshafts have more play and possibly starting to leak.

Cousin had her gearbox pack up on an Avensis as was noisy and dif bearing might have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

I had a A6 1.9tdi and the diff bearing went in it. And as you describe, the noise changed when cornering etc. If its the thrust release bearing, pressing the clutch while stationary with the engine running will change the noise. On a wheel free lift, spinning the wheel will tell you if its a wheel bearing. All worth checking out as you suggest before removing the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Thanks for all the replies. It is only noisy when I am driving. When I hit around 30 mph and above it is most noticeable. When I depress the clutch whilst driving at 30-40 mph the noise disappears completely. Also going down a hill or decelerating the noise goes as well. I will check to see if it changes when I am cornering. I jacked it up and the wheel bearing seems to be ok. At least the wheel is spinning ok and there is no excess heat around the wheel centre.

• Advertisement

Wonder if you could get an audio sound of the noise you are getting.

Wheel bearing noise would be still there at 60mph with foot on clutch

How far do you need to press pedal for noise to stop

This is what throws me ONLY while driving.

You would need to spin / rotate wheel fast to hear a roughness or whirr.

When front wheel bearings go sometimes the flange is worn also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I'm afraid that's an internal gearbox problem your describing, not a release bearing or wheel bearing problem.

How will I know for certain it is a gearbox problem. The oil I drained from the gearbox was perfect. Maybe the problem is just developing. I am trying to hear if there is any difference when I am going around bends. Greasepalm have you any idea how many miles were on that Avensis when the gearbox packed up. I think I have the wheel bearing eliminated as noise disappears completely when I press the clutch.

About 80th miles as i used to service it , thinking the noise is worse when going faster say 40 and when the torque was off it would slow down.

Yes ruled out wheel bearings

If it was a clutch release bearing was an issue just reviving the engine in driveway with foot on and off clutch pedal noise would come and go.

For gearbox to be noisy it needs speed to but load on the bearings.

Local garage would need to get it up on a 4 poster ramp or jack up with stand support for safety and as one drives it other would be underneath listening and feeling for roughness

Any decent mechanic after driving it will be able to confirm that for you. I'm 24 years working as a mechanic, I've bought and sold, broken more of those mk1 Avensis cars than I can remember.

• Advertisement

Very good. Any idea where I can get scrap/spare parts for it. It is getting harder to source parts for it.

Plenty of places out there doing Recon gearboxes or if they dont have your type they will repair your own if not too badly worn. + clutch replacement will be done at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭xDerp

I had something like this on an 00 avensis, it was a whine/hum sound but only when the engine was under some load, the noise lined up with the revs. It was there when I got the car at 147k miles and was still there when I got rid of the car at 242k miles! Consensus at the time was the gearbox input shaft bearing.

Did it make the same noise when it was parked and revved up or only when it was driven.

Thanks for that. Very useful piece of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

the bearings in the gearbox are going, changing the oil wont fix it. you could get it repaired now before the bearings collapse and blow a hole in the bell housing.

if you want to keep the car for a few years i would do that. i had a 98 avensis 1.6 and drove it for 30k miles with the gearbox noisy, you could drive it like that if you dont want to keep it long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Buffman

You'd possibly pick up a second hand gearbox for less than a rebuild cost, there are still MK1 parts available if you search.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Yes still loads of parts available second hand including a gearbox, they didn't all end up in Africa thankfully. Partfinder.ie would be your first stop. By the way as said those bearing may stay going for a while yet, but when they let go they will let go suddenly with no warning.

Those two avensis appear to be vvti, they have a different gearbox to a 99

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. All comments noted. What would it cost to change out a gearbox would ye think.

When gearbox gets removed / changed oil and clutch be done also.

How many miles were on the gearbox before it started giving trouble.

170k, my uncle had one with 260k and no issues

I got the bearings replaced on the gearbox. Running perfectly now. Thanks to everyone for their input.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

How much for parts? How much for labour? If you don't mind me asking?

€300 all in. I think the bearings were around €60.

I passed the NCT yesterday. I very nearly failed on the lamda emissions test. I was at the very limit. Any suggestions as to how I rectify this for the next test.

Check the exhaust for leaks first

There was a bit of a leak between two flanges just under the engine. That was filled. I presume it is still filled

• Advertisement

Forgot to say it was only the bearings on the drive going out of the gearbox. Not all the bearings in the gearbox. Two bearings in total and they were done without having to take out the gearbox.

Advertisement