Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimpanzees tea party at Dublin Zoo 1960s

Options
  • 01-04-2023 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Does anyone remember the chimpanzees tea party at Dublin zoo in the 1960s? I remember being at a school friends birthday party there and it was very funny. A friend sent me this link to some archive footage from RTE from 1965. Said birthday party was probably '68 or '69 and there were lots more tables and chimps and the unholy stink of p*ss from the Lions enclosure always prompted a hasty exit. Great memories...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I saw the chimps tea party on a school excursion. I borrowed my dad's box camera and took a photo, just the one unfortunately. Not sure if I still have it. If I ever find it, I'll post it here. I was a bit scared of them and I kept my distance. My class would never have been allowed to crowd them like that in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It was the highlight of our annual trip by train to Dublin. Double decker out to the Zoo in time for the Chimps tea party followed by feeding potatoes to the elephants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I remember it well! Think I was only there for one. But also for rides on the baby elephant. Different times indeed!

Advertisement