Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old cottage extension and renovation

Options
  • 31-03-2023 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all looking for some advice/ideas.

Currently have planning in for an extension 150m2 the old cottage is 70m2. We are living in the cottage and it's in good shape however it needs Insulation. The way it is now there is no wall insulation just a bit of rockwool between the joists. It has stone lime walls. The inside is mostly timber hardboard on battens for the walls. No floor insulation, windows re decent, roof is good. It has no dpc.

1.Would I be better with an external wrap insulation or internal wall insulation. I know the wall needs to breathe on at least one side. Any good breathable EWI? Or just go with eps/xps and a silicone render. And try and dry the walls internally with good ventilation?

2. How to stop rising damp? Would a french drain be sufficient or should I go with injectable dpc or dryrods method. Not sure are they effective on this type of wall. Dryrods seem to work well on the mortar line on bricks.

3. The house has no BER rating so I'll have to get that. I read somewhere but I can't seem to find it again that if doing a large extension to an old house I may not be eligible for seai grants for the old part after the extension is complete.???

4. The heating is the old storage heaters. Thinking of upgrading them to the new storage heaters which can charge with solar pv and get additional if need from night rate. Any one have any experience with these heaters? Also have a wood burning stove, we would be dead with the cold only for this.

Long post but any info on any points would be greatly appreciated. There's so much to get your head around when starting out. I'm not worried about the extension that will be built to a good standard but it to get the old part up to a comfortable loving condition and stop the heat loss, mould etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eimokeeffe

Hi there,

I'm guessing you've started work already?

What routes did you go down?

We've gutted out a tiny 50sqm cottage and are almost ready to have a 40sqm extension added to the back.

So far we've dug out the floors and gotten all the plaster off the inside. New roof with the old slates and some from FB marketplace is complete 🙌

We're thinking we'll get UFH put down throughout the old and new but only hook up the new part to air to water heat pump. We're going to heat the old part with a wood burning stove and (maybe) electric rads. If we find at the end that the ufh in the old house is efficient enough at least then it'll be an option.

I'm waiting for the SEAI approved contractors to get back to me for floor insulation as well as roof and attic. We're going to apply natural breathable insulation to the walls of the old cottage we'll do this ourselves and get SEAI approved contractors for insulated plasterboard in the extension.

We're going to get the external walls done professionally with insulated lime render down the road when we are living in it.

I would love to know more about your renovation, how's it going what have ye ruled in/out?

Advertisement