Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sail Rail - DUBLIN->Belfast->Cairnryan->Glasgow

Options
  • 31-03-2023 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

AFAIK this option has "existed" in the past (e.g. other older posts on boards.ie etc.)

I spent quite some time tracking this option down and I did manage to find it on the stenaline.ie website:

(ignore any/the strike warning - just click on the link)

This clearly states:

"Sail & Rail to Scotland via Cairnryan

via Cairnryan from Dublin

Glasgow and Edinburgh from €59*"

I called the stenaline number (01 907...) just now and they say this option is not available?

Does anyone know how to book this option?

Thanks for any insights :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mihalk

To answer my own question(!)

It helps just to call Stena again - I got a different operator and she hadn't heard of the option but she did check for me.

And, (drum roll), it does exist!

You "have" to collect the ticket at Dublin Port it seems - not a problem for me but maybe for others (maybe there's an option for posting...)

Also remember that on Sundays the first train to Belfast leaves Dublin at 10 so this rail/sail does not work (Stena don't check this part of the journey for you).

AFAIK once the ticket has been issued (at the Port) you cannot change it - so think about picking it up as late as possible.

BTW - both operators at Stena were very polite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There is no postal option from Stena.

Irish Rail should be able to issue them at main stations but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you are returning the same way I hope you bought return tickets because you would struggle to get that ticket in the UK. It is valid and theoretically available but due to issues with Irish schedules not being loaded into the GB rail database a valid itinerary for these tickets does not exist so they will not appear on booking sites or rail ticket office systems.

Advertisement