Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Sky TV

Options
  • 30-03-2023 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if you have an alternative to Sky TV - like Now TV - currently paying 125€ a month to sky which I feel is too much.

thx

€41.00

€25.00

• Sports Extra HD
    • FREESky Cinema
    • €9.00Sky HD
    • €10.00Sky Go Extra

FREE

Bill total€125.00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We get all we need with a generic freesat set up. Not pushed on Sports though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Use now tv for the good months of sports or must see hbo stuff. Free to air for rest. Netflix etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP check out the Now TV thread in Bargain alerts, there are some very good deals on Now if you want to go down that route. I am now getting the sports package (inc BT/Premier)in HD with multiroom for less than €30pm instead of a price in excess of what you were paying. (I had Sports Extra too, which is more important to me than Sky Sports for the stuff I mostly watch).

Be warned: it’s not the same as Sky. You will need something else for your terrestrial channels. It won’t be everything on one EPG. You’ll be giving up recording/live pause functions on Now channels if that’s important to you. Freesat is the straight swap for your BBC/ITV but doesn’t have RTE/VMTV. The players will infuriate you with the pre roll adverts. But you will be paying a fraction of what you were before.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Post edited by The_Dave on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Freesat plus saorview will give you all the main terrestial channels and free to air satellite channels for a one off cost of a new box (eg: the zgemma H7S) and a new LNB (receiver) on your dish - if using Sky Q it's not just a case of swapping the box anymore, but once you're setup that's it - no more subscription charges for live TV.

You can then look at services like Disney, Amazon, Apple etc for the other content. There's various threads on the bargain alerts forum on how to get deals or join family groups to lower the costs.

For sports, a Now TV sub when you want it should cover it. As said above, there's codes and offers on the Bargain Alerts threads too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement