Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start again

Options
  • 30-03-2023 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I'm 40 now & fed up with my current job office transport job , i never went to college (regret ) ,

I want to stat a new career but just can't decide what to do or where to start,

I have a family wife & 3 kids so difficult to start something at entry level, ,I'd love to do something a bit different maybe an outdoors job ,

Has anyone started again at 40 & what did they do ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

May be start by being consistent... are you 32 or 40? If you are 32 getting a college qualification and landing a graduate or junior management position is easier than at 40. And if you are looking for a mortgage then a career charge is not on the cards...

On the other hand if you are 32 and have 160k in the bank, the putting off getting a mortgage and getting a good professional qualification might be the best way to go as you have probably more than 30 years left in your working life.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I went back to college at 40 with a wife and 2 young kids. I was an electrician and went back to study electrical engineering. I was able to skip the first year so I only had to do 3 years. I was lucky enough that I could afford to study full-time for the 3 years while my wife worked.

I had no problem getting a graduate job at 43, although my previous experience as an electrician was a huge advantage.

You may not be able to take 3 years off work like I did but just letting you know it is possible to start something new after 40.

Advertisement