Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax refund - leaving Ireland

Options
  • 30-03-2023 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there!

So i left Ireland permanently and my job ceased at the end of february. I was advised that i might be eligible for tax refund, so i claimed it at the beginning of March via Revenue website. For now nothing happened, i also raised enquiry but no one answered that as well. I was on PAYE as permanent employee. Maybe some of you guys would help me understand couple of things, since even revenue phone just disconnects you when you try to talk to someone, claiming that they are busy.

• How much time it would usually take for Revenue to react / refund ?
    • Is there any timeframe they "should" keep according to law?
    • Am i even eligible to have tax refunded mid-year ?
    • What are my options if they delay it even further?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm by no means an expert on these things, but Revenue operate on a whole-year basis, so I'd imagine you'd have to submit a return once the current tax year is over and they'll refund you any overpayment due.

You say you've left the country permanently, but there's nothing stopping you coming back in September and resuming work here - so they'll balance the whole year when it's over.

Advertisement