Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher Tripping RCD. USB’s to Blame?

Options
  • 29-03-2023 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Integrated dishwasher about 9 years old started tripping RCD. Wash cycle takes 1hr. 10 mins normally. The trip happens around 50 mins into the wash. Resetting the RCD , the cycle continues and finishes as normal. This fault showed up consistently three times. Given the age if the machine, I was resigned to replacing it. However, I was looking to rule out anything other issues before forking out.

There was a twin power socket with two integrated USB charging ports, on the same circuit. We had not used the usb’s much but the power sockets were in daily use. I checked the USB’s and both were faulty. I replaced it with a standard twin socket.

Just for the hell of it, I tried the dishwasher and now it works fine. Seems very strange to me. Anybody come across any earth leakage problems with these type of USB’s on power sockets?

I bought them in either Aldi or Lidl about four or five years ago. They have the CE marking on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Dunno but I wouldn't bother with usb sockets just keep them separate to the 13 amp sockets

When you say they were faulty do you mean they weren't working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭davebuck

Time will tell if you don't have any more trips you've sorted the problem, had you many trips without the dishwasher on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Still running fine. No trips while dishwasher off.

When the problem was there it tripped every time we used it. Strange thing was when I reset RCD programme continued on finishing without any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

When you removed the old socket, was there any build up of dust/grime around the terminals at the back of the socket ?

If so that may have been causing some leakage from L to E, but not, in itself, enough to trip RCD. However the dishwasher may itself have a very small leakage from L to E (but within limits). Either issue on its own not a problem, but when both combined, could cause RCD trip?

No, nothing I could see anyway.

Dishwasher still,running fine.

• Advertisement

Update: well the RCD tripped again last week.It seems the issue was the dishwasher all along. Strange thing isn’t it worked fine until now. It seems steam/water is leaking in under the door seal. It tripped after running it twice, a wash and then a cleaning run very shortly afterwards.

Water leaking out from the seal., the controls are mounted in the door.

Going to replace it as it is about 13 years old.

cerco

Advertisement