Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance Tax

Options
  • 29-03-2023 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was orphaned at 12 years of age and my aunt became my legal guardian. She has now passed away and has left a share of her estate to me. Can I come under the Group A Threshold with regards to CAT? I know there is rules with revenue regarding this but it covers stepchild/foster child only. Surely this has happened before and there has been a precedent set.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Did you receive any inheritance from your parents when they passed (possibly left in trust to you)? This may have utilised all of the Group A threshold and render this moot.

If not, contact Revenue and ask them if your scenario applies the same rules as stepchild/Foster child. It makes sense that it would, but they should confirm it.

Advertisement