Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog spawn?

Options
  • 29-03-2023 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

I came across this at the weekend, the post is part of a fence running into a loch in Co Sligo, the water level is around three feet below the top of the post, i wouldn't have thought a Frog would or even could climb up the post to deposit her Spawn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Curious...I wondered if something tried to eat it i.e. a Grey Heron, and somethig was left in there, although I don't see droppings at the post and the spawn looks in decent condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I mentioned this to a friend last night (who should know about these things). Has seen similar before a number of times but no explanation. It doesn't look like to is has been carried by a bird or other.

Have seen spawn in odd places like this and seems like it has fallen from the frog's body when a predator has a grip of it. It doesn't take much to squeeze it from a heavily pregnant female.

Other times I've seen the black eggs and the female reproductive organs left on the ground...clearly unpalatable to whatever caught the female.

Also saw spawn in the entrails of a roadkill badger recently.

Advertisement