Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Parade?

Options
  • 29-03-2023 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the DF are involved in an Easter parade this year.. Passed 2 Mowags(looked like cavalry versions), 2 lane cruisers and 2 Scanias hauling load loaders on the Navan road yesterday heading towards the city centre.. The loads on the low loaders were covered with tarps but looked like a 105mm field gun and Sliabh na Mban

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Easter Sunday commemoration isn't for another 10 days and as far as I know, it will just the usual parade of personnel at the GPO plaza and reading of the proclamation in the presence of the President and others.

Sliabh na mBan has gone to the UK for exhibitions before, as only two of her type of Rolls-Royce 'Whippet' body models still exist, so you may have seen her en route to Dublin Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

I had ruled out the Port as using the M50 would have made more sense..

Lot of air corps activity over the city today also, currently an EC135 overhead and there was an Aw139 and 3 Pc9s In formation earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

The AC activity is most likely practice in the run up to the Biden visit, for the flyby over the Aras and security operations I would imagine.

Wouldn't have thought there'll be an Áras ceremonial GoH and flypast, as its not a State Visit by Biden, though they may do it anyway.

More likely the formation flying is actually for the Easter parade as the rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann ends proceedings with the cruciform flypast.

P.S. I think we have our answer.

Per DF social media, the 98th Cadet Class were commissioned at Collins Barracks today with attendant parades and displays.

Sliabh na mBan pictured alongside her modern day counterpart.

Good luck to the new Officers, may they lay to rest some of the deplorable and criminal conduct of some of their predecessors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Makes sense, the pc9s were up for a good while so obviously holding to try get their timing perfect..

I hadn’t spotted the peerless, must have been well covered by tarps!

Advertisement