Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio stations on MMDS ? History question

Options
  • 29-03-2023 12:30am

Does anyone remember if many/any radio stations were available as part of MMDS packages? If radio was available, were RTE's digital portfolio of stations available when they launched around 2007ish?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Definitely not in the analogue days. You could only have 11/12 analogue channels on MMDS, and the only Irish channel carried was TV3.

Digital was different, but still limited to about 60 channels, so I don’t think there was room for radio there either, but can’t remember for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

We had Chorus digital down the country. Don't remember any radio stations but I do remember tons of foreign often religious channels. COLOURS etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes pretty sure no radio. In fact because off limited Capacity Multilink from Cablelink could not carry all Sky Sports channels and would rotate a channel depending on the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

MMDS was pretty limited. From what I remember of it, as soon as BBC appeared on Sky and Freesat, most people got rid of it because it was very bad value for money due to its technical limitations.

Chorus also became extremely lazy in Cork and didn’t cable areas that were well within the city and cable coverage, offering MMDS instead. It lost them a lot of customers when broadband became the main reason for having cable. Took years to fill in those shortsighted 1990s / early 00s network gaps.

Advertisement