Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for these jobs?

Options
  • 28-03-2023 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So I'm in Dublin 8 and planning to get some carpentry jobs done - things like an alcove bookshelf, a TV / media wall unit with storage, and some wardrobe drawers.

Before I start looking for a person or company to do the work I'd like to know a rough cost. Based on the attached pic can anyone give a ball park price for these jobs:

• an alcove bookshelf with storage press on the bottom
    • a tv / media unit with storage
    • drawers for wardrobes

I know it can depend on the type of wood used etc but a rough guide would be very helpful.

If anyone can do this or knows someone that could do it then I'm happy to receive recommendations, cheers 👍️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You could be looking at upwards of a grand for the alcove. Two or more for the TV area especially if you need accenting lighting. And about 2.5k for the drawers. (Dublin prices, E&OE).

You can shop for the units at a cabinet supplier such as The Paneling Centre and then have a local team fit them to spec, that's what we did. You save slightly on the VAT that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above its 4 to 5 k for that type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BrokenJetpack

Ok thanks. 1k for the alcove and 2k for the TV unit I get, but 2.5k for drawers.. are they really that pricy? 😲

Yes, and more. It's a services market out there still. You could also be waiting for months for an install date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Agree that it's tough even to get someone to do the work now without having to wait months. Same comment as before re the prices, 1k for the alcove and 2k for the TV unit seems to be the going rate, but 2.5k for the wardrobe drawers? I really can't see how they'd cost almost as much as the alcove and TV unit combined?? 🤔

Post edited by Some_randomer on

• Advertisement

Some randomer on the internet asked some randomers for a finger-in-the-air guide-price for a few jobs and some other randomer thinks that they should be cheaper. 🤣 Fine, I'll discount it by 25%, 1850 EUR for the wardrobes. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭phormium

Any chance your wardrobe would be the right width for the IKEA type wire baskets on runners? I have no IKEA stuff myself but a relative has all IKEA wardrobes and those baskets in the bottom parts which they bought and fitted themselves and are not great diyers! Great job really but obviously you have to be able to fit them into your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BrokenJetpack

Hi thanks, I had a look for those on the Ikea site and I can see a range called "Boaxel" which look like wire baskets. My space is 97cm wide though and I can't see any around that size, they're either around 60 cm or 120. I'll keep reading up on them though maybe it's doable 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

APW design | Facebook check out APW .

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭CrazyEric

If I was doing your one now I would look at

Cut the legs off and stick it in. Depending on how handy you are you can put a filler piece in at the side if needed. €115 and job done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement