Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Championship qualifying

Options
  • 28-03-2023 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

Click-here-for-the-2023-Cazoo-World-Championship-draw.pdf (wst.tv)

Reasonable enough draw for Fergal (Section 1/2) and Ken (3/4), they are all in sections that have avoided the stand-out players ranked just outside the Top 16.

Bit tougher for Aaron Hill (Section 27/28) but again has at least managed to avoid Maguire/Gilbert/Hawkins/McGill type players.

Ross Bulman (15/16) has it tougher but got in as a late replacement for the suspendees so is kinda free-rolling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

If you want to follow qualifying on your phone, a months sub to Discovery+ is probably the best way, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It is on Eurosport, with commentary, which means Discovery+ I think these days.

Just watching the Marco Fu v Martin O'Donnell match. I see that we are back to best of 19 across two sessions again. The first to six was just for the Covid years. So that is good to see. Didn't want to see the Worlds come down a step, on a permanent basis.

Judgement Day next week will be on YouTube - probably the WST channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

aaron hill v thai lady is on my iptv yoke. delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Is it Aengus McNally I am hearing on commentary?

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Ronnie has opened up a pop up shop near the Crucible.

#open all hours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lot smaller than the one in Meadowhall, still check it out and great it’s so close.

ross bulman v barry peaches on it now, happy days!

i see tickets are a tenner, i may have to travel over some year

They are good value compared to the high prices at the Crucible now.

Mind you if Ronnie or other top players want to start to try and mix it with top golfers or tennis players, who is going to pay for it other than the punters.

I see Aaron Hill won his first match anyway. But I assume it was handy enough against an amateur female from Thailand.

Even the likes of Mink struggle to win a match, especially over the best of 19 where a run of the balls or a bad frame here and there should even out.

• Advertisement

Mink is giving Poomjaeng a match now in the battle of the Thais.

Mink 8-6 down.Could be a late enough finish.

they were both brutal, ive seen aaron 2 or 3 times before, today and yesterday seemed the worst. ive only ever watched top players play. jarring seeing this level. most breaks 30 and under

pinches must have rolled his sleeves up between sessions, bulman well beaten in the end after leading at the break

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Michael Judge also gone, 2-10 to some Austrian who has barely won a match in the last 4 years.

In the match we all wanted to see but couldn't, David Lilley beat Rory McLeod 10-7.

Fergal & Ken start their games tomorrow morning, finishing in the evening.

Some round 2 matches start tomorrow afternoon, inc Jimmy White v Martin O'Donnell & Zhang Anda v Stan Moody.

Fergal and Ken make good starts. Both 3-0 up. A 132 from Fergal.

Hendry has James Cahill, if he loses here, having done nothing all season, surely he'll have to call it a day and hand his card back. Although he has started with a 102 break.

Jimmy will make his 43rd consecutive appearance at the World Championships later and so he will beat a Fred Davis record of 42 appearances between 1937 and 1993

That's how time has moved on. We are comparing Jimmy to Fred Davis, although Fred was nearly 80 when he last played in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ken went 4-0 up but back to 4-2 now..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Two significant century breaks in WC qualifying -

Stephen Hendry rolling back the years v Cahill (plus you can see how he steps back before he addressed the shot - doing that sight right thing)

Mink getting her first century in Men's snooker/main tour WCQ v her mad compatriot Poomjaeng

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Aaron Hill going great guns, 7-2 up on Michael White. If he wins and gets through to the final 80 he'll have exceeded the expectations of his current ranking of 90 anyway.

Daring to look ahead, Chris Wakelin awaits in the next round. He owes his lofty ranking of #26 largely to his Shoot-Out win and is definitely one of the more beatable guys in the 20-40 mark.

End of the line for Jimmy and Fergal anyway. Aaron could do with a bit of a run here to get up towards the top 64 ahead of his 2 year card coming up for renewal next Spring.

Ken 0-2 down... how he lost that second frame... way ahead... ran out of position.. simple to set up a devastating snooker.. but on the stretch.. makes a colossal mess of it... Miah flukes the red... wins the frame.

Ken 27 ahead in the next frame.. on the stretch again.. using the rest.. Fouls the white... self destruction... poor play.

Nearly threw away the third from a strong position but managed to take it. Missed a pot with the ball about two or three inches over the pocket.

• Advertisement

Ken through 10-6. Next up is Pang Junxu. 10 weeks ago this would have looked a soft tie as the Chinese player had done little or nothing on tour. However he has burst into form recently, 1/4 final in Berlin, semi-final in Llandudno and finalist in the recent WST that replaced Turkey. So probably the end of the line for Ken but you never know. Pang Junxu - Wikipedia

Yeah two players hovering around the top 32 lie ahead if Ken was to make it to the Crucible. Jamie Jones is likely to wait in the final round.

Never going to be too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I see that Hill has lost to Wakelin. A real pity as I was hoping that he would make it to the Crucible.

A heavy enough defeat, but it was the last 80 anyway. You need yo be hitting that at least.

So needs to build on that next season and aim to go one or two steps better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Great start by Ken. 4-0 up against Pang. I would never have predicted that.

Tighter now though for Ken, since the interval

4-4 now…… jeeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I suppose he would have taken a 5-4 interval lead this morning but will be disappointed from 4 up, at least he won the last frame. It will take a big performance from him to win tonight

I think had he gone 4-5 down having been 4-0 up a comeback might have been difficult. 5-4 up, still advantage Ken… be nice if he can get a two frame cushion and take the pressure off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

10 - 6 defeat for Ken, disappointing from 4 nil up but it's tough out there

Advertisement