Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Switching a commercially insured car to private.

Options
  • 27-03-2023 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I'm looking for some advice here. So the company I work for have a VW Golf 2 seat commercial van which is currently giving trouble. My boss told me the other day he would let it go for a reasonable price instead of going through VW to fix it. My question is if I bought it and got it fixed, would I be able to get it insured privately and is it worth it? I spoke to a local insurance broker who said they couldn't quote me until it was switched from commercial to private tax but I assume I would have to first own the vehicle to make that switch with the tax office. I am 22 years old with 2 years no claims if that's relevant.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’ll still be a commercial vehicle even if you tax it privately. (As in you tax it based on the engine size, on the old cc tax rates)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Never try to catch a falling knife!

Find the same one on donedeal and use their reg to get a quote. Tbh just buy a working clean golf with back seats if it's for private use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

€333 a year road tax, cvrt every year (€111 Inc vat), insurance unlikely for a young driver unless you can show why you need the space.

Just not worth it

Advertisement