Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this growth inside the connector box?

Options
  • 25-03-2023 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

For some reason the lights in the back garden started tripping the whole house so checked to see what the problem was and this was inside the connector boxes. They were sealed off since installed 2 years so I have no idea how this thing got inside.

It wrapped itself around the connector blocks. Any ideas what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

LOL, looks to me like Denso tape. A traditional sticks to everything tape that is used more often on exterior and buried plumbing fittings to reduce corrosion. I assume its to help make the joints waterproof.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

it was/is used to seal joints on esb ducting. Supposedly waterproof

Great on the outside but I'd question its value on the inside unless the seals on those "hansel" boxes were blown.

I've seen older electrical junction boxes filled with putty. The only advantage of doing it I can think of is that it fills up the space in the junction box and helps prevent condensation on the electrical fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's denso tape and I can guarantee that the connectors it's covering will be in new condition if you remove the tape. It's great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

agree, not the best solution for this instance, some other products available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKDeeQJfT6g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Lovely termination of the swa

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sososierra

ok thanks guys.

the whole system still trips the fuse when I turn the lights on and I can't seem to find the problem. I replaced one of the boxes that got wet and the others are the ones in the photos, they seem ok.

The lights are all ok, so not sure what causes it to trip. Any usual suspects I should look for?

Thanks

Why not open up the first box with power off. Disconnect it so all you have is the main feed cable, tape up the ends of the feed cable then put the lights on. If they still trip then the issue is between the switch and the first box possibly with the cable itself because nothing else is connected. If it works connect up section at a time until switching on trips to gain a better idea of where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Those type boxes always seemed to let water in if left on the ground like that

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sososierra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd probably start halfway if doing trial and error

Advertisement