Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I return item bought from UK can I reclaim the 23% Vat, import charges and admin fee AN POST

Options
  • 25-03-2023 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭

I bought 2 pieces of euipment for a Ford Mondeo from UK on 16th Mar with a 2-4 day delivery window. And they clearly export to Ireland. By Monday 20th I had heard nothing so rang them , to be told " Sorry we had to order item in"!! and said it would be despatched today . It was sent that evening at 17.40 and ended up at Milton Keynes the following day but stayed there until Thurs evening i.e .1.40 am it was sent. Yesterday AN POST sent email with a customs charge Vat charge and and admin fee. Total 85 euro but I had aleady paid 20% vat in the UK.

I may get it Monday 27th but doubtful. It was for NCT on Wednesday 29th and I have since learnt the fail will only require a visual check and you get 28 Days.

Can I return items and if I do can I reclaim the AN POST charges? And can I ask supplier to refund me the vat they charged?

I assumed as they export to Ireland charges would be clear on label.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

an post don't charge you, they collect on behalf of revenue.

UK company should have sold to you excluding UK vat. But that's an issue between you and them.

You are now paying vat on UK vat due to the seller not having the basic understanding of shipping internationally.

You can claim vat back and An Post can do this on behalf of revenue. There is a process and you have to follow it fully https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/individuals/buying-online-personal/claim-refund.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Perfect, I import less and less and very soon it will be nil from UK. I wonder do the UK guys play on the BREXIT i.e charge the vat etc. I'll soon find out.

Royal Mail have been subject to a ransom ware attack and use that as an excuse to delay parcels but I was advised by RM that online buying would not be affected!! 2 days in Milton Keynes waiting.....

Thank you for quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Did you try MCS in Ballymount ? There an independent Ford motor factors. Generally cheaper than main dealer.

Never heard of them but I will save it for future use.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

@swoofer have you been able to claim a refund for goods returned to the UK ?

I recently returned goods to the UK on which i had paid VAT + Customs charges (via An Post), and now i want to reclaim the VAT & Duty charged

According to the revenue website I should 'contact An Post directly. The contact details should be included in any correspondence received in connection with your delivery.'

However the An Post website states ' Please note, An Post do not process any refunds of VAT or Customs Charges if you are returning goods after the item has been delivered'

I am not looking forward to trying to get someone on the phone to give me a sensible answer from either AnPost or Revenue/Customs but will try when they all come back from lunch

• Advertisement

I am in Limbo at the moment as I am waiting to see via Parcelforce website that the item I returned has been received back by supplier. The company I used are pretty dreadful and to make matters worse they only supplied one item BUT put the full cost of 2 items on the outside label. I have sent the single item back. They supplied me with a Royal Mail label and I could not get across to them that would not work here. I paid postage etc. That revenue site says we claim back via An Post as they are the agents.

I'm chasing An Post via FB as I type.

Add a bit, An Post got back to me, I process refund via the ecommerc email. Its PARCELFORCE that are the problem now

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

thanks again swoofer

for anyone else who might need this info in future :

the email address in An Post is

and it helps if you can quote the tracking number of the delivery you received AND the returned package (obvs this all only applies if you dealt with An Post)

this is in addition to the items listed on the Revenue website above.

NB - I have just started the process so if this does not work i will update this post.

Auto reply from the email address above is telling me that 'everyone is very busy' etc etc. Brexit dividends !

Advertisement