Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book For People With Hearing Difficulties.

• 25-03-2023 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭

I have just finished reading this book and found it very useful. It is not readily available in shops in Dublin, but they will order one in for you, or else go on line.

Posting so hopefully others will also get some helpful tips/information from it.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation whatsoever with any aspect of the book or it's authurs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Good article - hearing aids are glorified amplifiers, picks up all the white noise

But gradually I decided to quit wearing them. My reasons for that were multiple, and they remain fluid today.

First and foremost, from a practical point of view, I found myself distracted by the sounds that my hearing aids picked up.  

I could succeed in life without them

My hearing loss isn’t as severe as others’ - In a normal one-on-one conversation, in a quiet setting, I can hear fairly well (with some lip-reading involved). Some people wouldn’t even think I have hearing loss. But I’ve been masking it my whole life. And if you catch me in a crowded room, with a high ceiling and lots of background noise, you would be able to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

He's entitled to his opinion. However, I disagree entirely with him.

Next week, an article titled "Man loses part of his leg: Decides to hop through life rather than wearing a prosthesis" will be published in the Guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I do think that once you start wearing hearing aids your hearing 'worsens' because your brain adjusts - which is what I guess the book is saying, though I haven't read it. However I am a bit useless without aids, I can hear some people - some people have very clear voices - others are just a blur and I don't hear things like the doorbell or my phone sometimes.

Advertisement