Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting a litter of pups

Options
  • 25-03-2023 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

At what age can my Maltese have her first litter of pups?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This will be interesting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I believe from her second heat onwards, she would be able to have a safe and viable pregnancy with healthy pups. I stand to be corrected though, and it’s definitely something to discuss with your vet first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Ask your breeder for advice and check whether there are any breeding restrictions on her IKC registration.

If your first litter of pups a mentor will be very helpful, a role which the breeder of your bitch should be happy to fulfil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Many small breeds have their first heat at 5 months so the second heat is too young.

There are several health tests she needs before even thinking of breeding. The stud dog also needs to be tested. This is not a simple vet check but is breed specific. Also note that some vets are far more experienced than others when it comes to breeding so do your research.

Breeding is not for the faint hearted. Done properly you won't have much money left over & if things go wrong, you could be left with a large vet bill. Also the prices for pet type dogs has dropped considerably.

As above talk to the breeder of your dog, they should be also able to recommend a suitable stud dog & help with any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

Instead of bringing new dogs into the world why not save homeless ones from rescues a home? You should neuter your dogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement