Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find babies cute?

Options
  • 24-03-2023 11:57pm

Female, 42, childfree by choice. I don't think babies are cute. I was chatting with my neighbour today who had her six month old on her chest I one if those baby sling things, he was looking at me so I said "Hi, *baby's name" and he smiled at me. I said "He's lovely " but I didn't really think or feel anything like it to be honest. I can understand why people want babies and have babies but they have never appealed to me in any way. Being told to hold my niece the day she came home from hospital was completely forced for a photograph. However she's four now and I think it's hilarious when she threw a massive tantrum because I coloured in a Paw Patrol character in the wrong colour (I remember being her!!). Children have never looked "cute" or ever made me feel broody in any way. I can't be alone in this!

A kitten will melt my heart and I have a hard time giving it back. Puppies, depends on the breed.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m fairly ambivalent about babies. Some are cute, some are not. They don’t automatically activate any feelings in me unless they smile or cry. Smiling I automatically respond to, and crying activates a very primal part of me that I struggle to tolerate (it instinctively makes me want to cry too). Seeing babies and children definitely doesn’t make me feel broody, but nothing makes me broody 😅

Agreed about kittens and puppies. I would fill my house with kittens, and I love puppies but I’m happy to hand them back because I have an 11 month old puppy and I know just how bloody awful puppies really are!

I'm happy to hold a baby, feed a baby, change a baby, but happier to hand them back

They're cute, but I'm happy I don't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you were all babies once, if you are ugly now, you were probably pug ugly then, but hopefully someone loved ye all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Talk about holding people's past against them 😂

I've seen some babies that I would describe as cute but probably just as many that I'd describe as the opposite.

Have to say that in no instance have I felt the need or compulsion to pick them up.

Now kittens and cats on the other hand I just want to rub in my face until I go into full anaphylactic shock. 😂

thats other people babies ya see

ask your mam if you were cute and guess what the answer will be

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

All that proves is that the love of a parent for their baby is absolutely blind and cannot be trusted 😁

this is what people are missing

even your mam doesn't think all babies are cute, even if they coo over them to be nice

I'm happy for people if they don't want to have kids, more power to them, but they are missing that bit, the love for your own baby

Please tell me you're childfree either by choice or otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Very meh to me. They all pretty much look the same. I've no interest in other people's babies.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Never got the whole children/babies are cute thing until I met my nephew and he's just the most gorgeous little fella. I didn't meet him till he was 2 so he wasn't a baby technically.

So it seems like I needed to be related to a child to actual like them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Interesting. I've no interest in my niece at all. Then again, I live in the UK while my family are back in Ireland.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well my nephew lives in Colombia and I have no idea when/if I'll see him again. he's lovely though and i wish i could spend time with him, still doesn't make me want to have my own though, particularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

babies are humans. like humans in general, some are fun, some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭techman1

In general babies are cute ,they have to be because that's what sets off the nurturing instinct obviously much higher in women than in men.

Because a baby is cute and innocent and helpless by and large it forces people to care for it , that's not the same for adults. You might ignore an adult in difficulty but it would be virtually impossible for most to do that with a baby

Master of the Universe

I'd say the innocent and helpless thing plays a much bigger part there than any visual cuteness to be honest.

If I see a baby lying in the middle of the road with a truck approaching at speed, I'm going to save it - be it a cute or ugly baby 😁

Advertisement