Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submitted my 2022 return - several tax credits not acknowledged

Options
  • 24-03-2023 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Apologies in advance for the long post but I just wanted to explain this situation as thoroughly as possible.

In February I heard about the rent tax credit that people were just starting to avail of. I wanted to read up on it so I logged in to my Revenue account. While I was on the site (I rarely use it) I noticed on my 2022 statement that I had overpaid by €3400. This turned out to be a combination of my personal and employee tax credits (€1700 each) - both credits were assigned to a former employer and not my current employer, so my PAYE salary for 2022 had no credits applied to it.

I wanted to sort this out so I sent an inquiry through the website. While I was on it I said I may as well submit my return for 2022 and I started going through the usual steps. I have a rental property that I own with my brother and I declared the income from this. I submitted a claim for the rent credit along with medical insurance and health expenses (with receipts included) and off it went.

Most of my colleagues that mentioned the rent credit to me said that €500 landed in their account within 2-3 days. I knew this wouldn't be the case for me as any credit I get would be applied to my outstanding rental income liability for the year. It did, however, take longer than I expected - just over four weeks to get an update from Revenue and when I looked at the amended balancing statement it included the two tax credits (Personal & Employee) but had no mention whatsoever of the rent credit, health expenses or medical insurance relief on it. I compared this balancing statement with my girlfriend's one as she claimed the tax credit and received €500 last month and, as expected, her tax credit section includes the one for the rent. Mine only includes the Personal tax credit and Employee tax credit.

On the 'Panel 4: Tax Credits' section I was expecting something along the lines of:

• Personal Tax Cr - €1700
    • Employee Tax Cr - €1700
    • Rent Cr - €500
    • Health Expenses Cr - €50
    • Medical Insurance Cr - €50

Does anyone know why the rent, medical insurances and health expenses weren't included? The income tax return section on the website shows their status as 'Added' but not 'Confirmed'.

I have an accountant that does my returns for the rental property income every year around October but I didn't want to wait around to get this tax credit issue sorted so that's what made me go ahead and do this return myself. I can speak to him next week when he's in the office but I'm hoping someone here may be able to help in the meantime.

Comments

Advertisement