Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find when a house was built?

Options
  • 24-03-2023 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I am trying to find out some information as to when a property may have been built. It is a traditional Irish Cottage located in Co.Laois. I have been able to find it on the first ordnance survey map on the OSI geohive website historical 6 inch map from the townland where it is located. The first ever ordnance survey of Ireland was carried out between 1829-1842 so it is as old as that.

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions as to where I could look further?

Thanks for any advice / information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A "traditional Irish cottage" in pre-famine times would normally have been built out of clay or turf and roofed in thatch. It wouldn't survive until today, so it's possible that the structure which stands there now is not the original structure marked on the OS map, but a replacement. You could examine the building and talk to an architectural historian about whether the building design or technology suggests an approximate date of construction. Are you interested in this particular building, or in knowing when the site was first used as a dwelling-place, possibly in an earlier building?

Advertisement