Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to UK with nephew - passport won’t ready on time

Options
  • 24-03-2023 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Hello.

I was planning on taking my nephew to London for Star Wars Celebration on Easter weekend.

I only thought of it last week and didn’t know he doesn’t have a passport. My sister applied quick but we found out this morning it won’t be ready until later in April. She was told by passport office that there is no way they expedite it because it is a first time application and a child.

I called Aer Lingus because I was fairly sure a child doesn’t need a passport. They confirmed that a child under 16 can travel with a guardian and only needs photo ID/documentation for immigration in the UK

im guessing a lot of Irish people have travelled to U.K. and back with children without passports.

What kind of ID or paperwork do Heathrow security (or any airport in U.K. ) need to see for my nephew? I don’t know of any photo ID for kids in Ireland.

And is it an easy experience going through security in a situation like this? I don’t want the kid getting frightened if we are asked a lot of questioned or if we are there for ages.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Does Ryanair have the same policy for children under 16 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was told that only a parent or legal guardian can take a child to the UK without a passport, like you I wanted to take my nephew for a special treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bronco Bullfrog

I have regularly travelled between Dublin & London Stansted & Shannon & Stansted with Ryanair and also Dublin and London City Airport ( with Aer Lingus, City Jet & currently British Airways) over many years and have never been required to present a passport or any form of I.D at on arrival at either of these airports.

The reason being the Common Travel Area (CTA) agreement between Britain & Ireland which means there are no routine passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the 2 countries. These agreement is still in place despite Brexit. Here is some information from Citizens Information:-

Common Travel Area between Ireland and the UK (citizensinformation.ie)

So once you get off the plane in London & go inside the terminal you just walk out into the arrivals hall. I don't know about Heathrow, but that is 100 % the case at London Stansted & London city airport. There is no border security at all for arrivals from the Irish Republic. It is treated as a domestic flight because of the Common Travel Area agreement and there is a specific channel for arrivals from Ireland & Channel islands. You do have to walk through customs but that is not the same as passport control.

The main issue you may face is the policy of the airline and what I.D. they require. So you don't need to present documentation on arrival at London Stansted or London City airport (in my experience). I cannot comment on anywhere else & I have never travelled with children, but you will need to present some I.D. when boarding the plane which is checked by the airline staff.

Sounds like you may not have booked the flight yet if you have checked with Aer Lingus and are wondering about Ryanair. On Ryanair's website under the Help section - Travelling with children it says the following:-

You can add 4 passenger types to your booking: adults, teenagers, children, and infants.

Adults are over 16 years of age, teens are between 12 and 15 years of age, children are between 2-11 years of age, and infants are those under 2 years of age (as of date of flight departure).

If you have already made your booking and need to change the passenger type please contact us here.

Here is the link below:-

Travelling with Children – Ryanair Help Centre

On British Airways website it says regarding flights between Ireland & Britain:

"If you are a citizen of the UK or Republic of Ireland who was born in that country you do not need a passport to travel between the two countries but you do require some form of photographic identification, such as a driving licence."

"All other travellers require a valid passport to travel between the two countries." Link:

Passports, visas and API | Information | British Airways

I could not find any information regarding photo I.D. for a child on Ryanair's website, so you may need to contact them directly and be specific with which ever Airline you go with as to what their I.d. they will accept / what are their requirements are for I.D. for the child aged 16.

Hope that is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you are a citizen of the UK or Republic of Ireland who was born in that country you do not need a passport to travel between the two countries but you do require some form of photographic identification, such as a driving licence.

how exactly do you proof you ar such a citizen without a passport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The Aer Lingus support agent said parent or guardian and I asked did he mean a legal guardian because I’m not and he said no he meant in the care of an adult.

That is a big help.

I had tired googling it myself but I would find on one site that we could go without the passport and then another source would say passport required.

I will read those links.

I had not yet booked the flights.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ever thought about Rail and Sail with Stena/Irish Ferries?

120Euro Return to London, no passport needed, just picture ID

I just had a look at Aer Lingus website & it says the following in relation to travelling with children:-

"Citizens of Ireland and Britain under the age of 16 don’t need a photo ID if travelling with their parent/guardian."

Link to this on Aer Lingus:-

Travel to/from Britain - Aer Lingus

Irish Ferries also confirm that photo I.D. is not necessary for under 18's. Here is what they say;

Ireland / Britain routes - Passports and Identification:

"Useful means of identification when travelling on these routes include:

• Birth certificates (for under 18’s with no photo ID)

Here is the Link:-

Passport & ID FAQs | Irish Ferries

They also say they will accept a bus or train pass or student I.D. I checked with a friend & he told me he used his bus pass for I.D. to fly from Dublin to London once.

Stena Line ferries say the same:

"A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for children (17 years and under with no photographic identification) to travel on our sailings"

Link:-

What identification documents do I need to travel? | FAQs | Stena Line

So, overall it seems Aer Lingus will accept just a birth cert as a form of I.D. Same with the ferries. If the child has any photo I.D. from his school / student I.D. etc or a bus pass or train pass would also be accepted. But, seems its not necessary. Looks like you could get away with just birth cert. (Whoever you decide to travel with , I would print out the section from their websites they says O.K. to travel with birth certs for child as I.D. and bring that with you when you travel. You could also get them to confirm that on an email and bring it with you when travelling (Belt & Braces).

I think Ryanair may be more strict about their I.D requirements. They don't seem to confirm birth certs only are Ok on their website.

Let us know how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Ryanair I'm pretty sure require a passport for everyone regardless of age.

Aer Lingus you can travel to UK with any form of photo ID to my knowledge, or a birth certificate for child if they don’t have any ID.

Either way make sure you have a signed letter from both parents authorising you to travel with the child.

As a poster above says there is usually never checks when you arrive in UK, but all the documents will be checked at checkin by the airline and then again as passport control when you arrive back in Ireland.

There are no routine passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the 2 countries. The airlines & ferry companies and authorities will accept other forms of I.D. with photos. e.g. Driving licences, Social Security / Social Welfare cards, Employment I.D. Government issued I.D. cards etc. In order to obtain such cards you would have to divulge some information about yourself such as your PPS number or social security number (UK), proof of residence etc. This seems to suffice. A passport is the best form of I.D. to prove citizenship, but in the absence of that a birth certificate or proof of Parents citizenship also seems acceptable. Though an adult wont be permitted to travel with just a birth cert, looks like only a child can. But if an adult has other forms of photo I.D. it is adequate for common travel area between Britain & Ireland.

·        

• Advertisement

I am grateful for the input from everyone. When I Google it myself I get contradicting results saying for example a birth certificate is enough for a child and an the next says passport is needed.

From this thread though it seems that the birth certificate is enough but I need to be 100% certain (don’t want to stopped at the airport or there to be any hassle - both my nephew and myself would be basket cases if we only got that far :P) so I phoned Heathrow airport yesterday morning to try get their immigration office.

I selected the appropriate numbers that the automated system offered. Im not sure who I got through to but he suggested calling the immigration department at the Home Office and gave me a phone number.

I will call them on Monday morning.

I have been feeling positive about it all day but just a few minutes ago I started to to worry that the fact I’m not a parent or legal guardian might actually be the issue that we encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We know that there’s No passport control. It’s getting on the plane you need to worry about.

Aer Lingus say you don’t need any .

https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

“Citizens of Ireland and Britain under the age of 16 don’t need a photo ID if travelling with their parent/guardian”

Ryanair say:

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_368204930

Aged under 16 and travelling with an adult aged 16 or over

• No photo ID is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Arrival in Heathrow won't be an issue, it's getting on the plane in the first place. Ring Aer Lingus.

There is a bit of confusion here I think.

I called Aer Lingus before starting the thread - as I said in the first post their customer support agent said my nephew wouldn’t need a passport to fly with them but he said he didn’t know about security at the airport.

I started the thread because it was security in the UK that I wasn’t sure of because I get contradictory results when googling this and would hate it if we were stopped.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A travel agent is not the UK immigration service, so their opinion will count for squat if the immigration service are not satisfied. To enter the UK from another part of the CTA, you need to be able if asked to identify yourself, prove citizenship and that you are legally entitled to take the child with you. So to be sure you will be allowed entry you need: photo ID, birth certificate and a document signed by the parents stating that they have given you permission to take the child with you.

It wasn’t a travel agent, it was someone who works at Heathrow that answered when I selected security and immigration options by the automated system.

Are you saying that I need that photo ID for my nephew or just for me?

What photo ID can a child have in Ireland?

Their customer support said no passport is required. I remember that he didn’t mention some form of ID was needed which I thought was odd but between googling the issue, this thread and tiredness I cannot remember if I brought it up or assumed something must be needed.

That will be easy to find out but my concern was landing in the UK not being through security or some kind of very long delay or a lot of hassle..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr Creosote

Hello

For what it's worth. My recent experience of Heathrow.

I recently travelled with Aer Lingus from London Heathrow to Shannon earlier this month on 8th March on a one way ticket. The flight departed from Heathrow Terminal 2.

I had checked in for the flight on-line. I am sure I was not required to type in my passport number / details when checking in on-line. When checked in I printed out my boarding pass.

On arrival at Heathrow the boarding pass was needed to scan into the security bag check area. No other documents checked. So far nothing unusual there.

When I went to the departure gate to board the plane there was no checking of documents or passports by the Aer Lingus airline staff. They were using what I would describe as an automated turnstile. Again, like at security each passenger just placed their boarding card on the top of the turnstile. It read the barcode on the boarding pass and it opened to walk through to board the airplane. No interaction with Airline staff whatsoever. There was someone there if anyone needed help. I have not seen that method of boarding at a departure gate anywhere before. There were about 4 turnstiles at the departure gate.

So, maybe that system at Heathrow would help simplify your return flight to Ireland. But, departing from Ireland may be a different matter, more likely for docs to be checked by staff.

I would check with the airline regarding on-line check in before you book.. If your planning to do that. I know Ryanair ask for passport details, passport number etc when checking in on-line. But I think Aer Lingus just required the booking reference number. Might prevent any further complications as your nephew is without a passport.

Also, Terminal 2 at Heathrow is on two floors, once you go through security you are on the upper floor. Even though it was early March when I travelled I found there to be a shortage of seating while waiting for my departure gate to show on the board. It was quite busy. There is more seating / waiting areas & shops downstairs on the lower floor and all departure gates are on the lower floor also. Just a tip!

Hope it all works out.

May the force be with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not at all relevant. The OP will be traveling with a child. Extra attention is paid at boarding to help combat child abduction.

• Leaving Ireland will be your issue.

Flights from Ireland into Britain are seldom, if ever, checked. You simply follow the relevant immigration lane when you arrive. Britain take the whole Common Travel Area agreement a lot more seriously than Ireland i.e they acknowledge the freedom of movement between the two jurisdictions.

Travelling from Britain to Ireland is more of a nuisance.

• Advertisement

You need id for both of you. You can take a flyer, hope it works out or make sure you have the correct documentation so you won't be refused boarding or entry to the UK when you land.

Exactly and being suspected of child abduction, being held in detention and being returned to Ireland at your own expense is not going to be a pleasant experience for the OP or the child. You can go through the process countless times, have details of other peoples experiences, have advice for airlines, ground staff etc... but none of it matters diddle squat if you are not able to satisfy immigration officers if checked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You won't need any ID to get into the UK after getting off a flight from Ireland. Having a passport may make things simpler at some airports depending on how their immigration lanes are configured. But for the major London airports you should just find that you'll get directed off the plane and past an unmanned desk or maybe one where you just need to show a boarding card.

My local airport changes every 6 months or so and sometimes the flights from Ireland are sent through a different door and straight to baggage reclaim, other times they move things about and you go through the regular passport channels, which might be the automatic gates. There is always the option to go via a person at a desk in that case though.

It does relate though to travelling without a passport.

I have been google the issue you raise too though. I haven’t been able to find anything online about adult relative who isn’t a parent or legal guardian. I was starting to think I was the only uncle who ever tried this…

I appreciate all the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭mykrodot

+100%. The biggest issue here in travelling with a young child when you are not the child's parent. You need to have letters from parents saying it is ok for you to take the child out of the country. Make sure there is a contact number on the letter for verification. I would go as far as having the Gardai witness this letter.

Even if the child had their own passport you would still need authorisation from parents. I hope it goes well for you, its a lovely gesture! Enjoy when you get there :-)

going to the Guards with the letter is a good idea.

Would they be just putting a stamp on it? Would I have to be there or just my sister?

Give them a call and see what they are willing to do. The Garda are not a Notary public, so they can't legally certify any random document, I have know people (a grandmother) who did get the document properly certified, but in that case the child was of a different race and they had been stopped on the way in and out on a previous occasion.

Also, make sure that the kids parents are available by phone while you are travelling in case they decide they want to talk to the parents. And explain to the child that the officers might ask him some questions and he needs to answer truthfully - no games no jokes etc.

I will look into what you said about the Guards.

good idea about telling the parents to expect a phone call - I’m sure my sister will have thought of it but wouldn’t have.

if anything my nephew will take being asked questions too seriously. He wouldn’t joke

• Advertisement

I know a lot of you folks have said that Aer Lingus might be a problem but their customer support agents have told me a berth certificate and the letter would suffice for my nephew.

And a lot of you have said the London airports would be no hassle - but it can’t be that easy to take a child out of one country and into another.

Advertisement