Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing grout on tiled floor - dirt prevention

Options
  • 23-03-2023 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a product to seal light-coloured grout on a tiled floor. We have a lovely tiled floor in our house but the grout is constantly filthy. Surely there must be some sort of sealant or ceramic coating available on the market?

Post edited by n.d.os on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

No not realy. Your tiler should have warned you about light coloured grout getting dirty.

Or did he warn you and you chose not to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭n.d.os

You're assuming that I'm an annoying incompetent homeowner who didn't listen to my tiler. The floor is limestone coloured so a darker grout wasn't suitable. Useful comments only, please but thank you.

You should have said the floor is limestone rather then the manufacturer name.

There are plenty of sealers for limestone. It is just a simple process of painting it over the tiles and grout.

What is important ( very important ) you must first get the floor spotless clean and dry , otherwise you will seal the dirt under the sealer you apply.

To clean the floor I would suggest using a tile cement or grout removing chemical. They are available in all tile shops you could also get sealer in same place. The chemical WILL get your floor spotless but you must not use it as a regular cleaning product because each time its used it eats away a small amount of the grout , and if used to much all grout will dissolve.

When you wash the floor with the chemical you should notice the dirt bubbling as it cleans. All is very simple to do.

Cement, Mortar, Efflorescence Remover 1Lt | Woodie's (woodies.ie)

Something like this should clean your floor first. The HG brand is quite good.

The grout is all cleaned so the next step is to find a sealant. I#m wondering however if the grout can be ceramic coated or does such a product exist. Tiles are ceramic limestone effect, not limestone. I should have been clearer.

Post edited by n.d.os on

• Advertisement

None of the sealers will take to a ceramic tile. It gets scratched and scuffed as walked on. I have seen people buy grout sealer and apply it with an artists brush to the grout joints . But that is a very very slow time consuming job . For white grout I have seen a product that comes in a small tube like tipp-ex but not sure if there is a clear version for your particular floor.

Ceramic tiles will always clean spotless to look the same as the day they were installed. But the grout is cement based and slightly porous hence the reason it gets stained. Bit like an old foot path gets stained over the years.

Amazon.co.uk : grout reviver

I dont know much about any of these products on amazon. But maybe there is one to suit your requirements.

Advertisement