Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of use, garage -> commercial workshop

Options
  • 23-03-2023 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick one if anyone has any experience of this.

Hoping to start and run a business from a domestic premises, ie a garage at the rear of a property. The current structure wouldn't need to be altered in any way as it's currently set up as a wood workshop for private use. I'd like to start restoring, manufacturing and selling wooden goods from it (start small, like I mentioned I already have the space, equipment and the product and couldn't justify renting/buying a bigger dedicated workshop at this moment in time).

It's a skilled area there would be some machining involved but very little, certainly not machines and extractors going 9-5! It's mostly hand work; veneering, finishing etc.

I'm aware I'd have to apply for change of use from private to commercial(?) but was wondering if anyone had been down this route and what the outcome was?

Actually, that wasn't a quick one after all.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Probably no need to apply for planning unless you want to be 100% by the book.

If customers are only calling by appointment it won't be an issue and even if a neighbour complains it can take years for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn unless you are causing a major problem.

Many potters and other woodcrafting people work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks for the reply walterking.

A lot of my work would be done for overseas customers so I doubth I'd even have that many customers visiting/in the workshop in person so public liability insurance may not be a major concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bear in mind you'll probably have to pay commercial rates on the garage.

No idea how much that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Highly unlikely that a council would grant full commercial permission in a residential area.

The question the op needs to ask - will the operation of my business have a material affect on any neighbours? - If it won't, then there's no issue.

the main affect on a neighbour would be noise levels and traffic. So if the noise level is low and you won't be getting customers calling in, there is no issue

Advertisement