Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these (alarm type fittings in my ceiling)

Options
  • 20-03-2023 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, my apartment was built around 2006. There are a various things attached to the ceiling, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, but I have no idea what these are. Any clues? The top one has been uncovered since I moved in. The bottom one appears to be a heat detector, but I don't know if that requires maintenance or testing or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ok so in a 2006 apartment you should have

Management company problem,

1. One smoke detector in the main hallway or primary living area if no hallway that the bottom one, this should be tested regularly by a contractor employed by the management company, this links to the building alarm
    2. One sounder unit, again in the main hallway or primary living area if no hallway, this looks to be the upper unit in the photograph, this is clearly not in working order and requires attention. This should be triggering a warning on the building alarm panel

Your problem

1. There should be a separate mains powered heat detector unit in near/the kitchen. This should have a test button
    2. If you have a gas boiler or fire there should be a carbon monoxide alarm (this could be merged with the above) This should have a test button

In both cases these have a lifespan, typically 5 or 10 years and should be replaced

The missing sounder unit that is serious concern as this should be picked up by the management company, they should have a contractor inspecting the system quarterly and the system should not be left with any defects

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, without opening myself up too much liability, I've been here for a little over 18 months and nothing has been inspected. So I need to get both of these replaced or just the sounder unit?

I've got a few mains-connected smoke detectors, I guess I've to replace those too, they look as old as the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd hazard a guess smoke alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd get the mains ones replaced first

They might be ionisation type .

Fit EI optical or multisensor type

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you are the owner you need to get on to the management company and immediately insist this is fixed.

The alarm system should be inspected 4 times a year by a qualified engineer.

Any refusal to repair should be brought up at the AGM meeting, if the directors refuse to budget for and arrange for proper inspection and maintenance of fire safety systems, emergency lighting, fire alarm, extinguishers etc, vote them out and get some owners in who will. It risks the property, the insurance and your ability to sell.

The mains powered units (these will have test buttons) are your problem, can be replaced yourself if you are comfortable doing so but you may prefer to get a electrician to do it. Make sure you get the right type for the room, smoke sensors everywhere except the kitchen where it should be a heat sensor

• Advertisement
Advertisement