Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Master System II - Upgrading & De-Segafication

Options
  • 20-03-2023 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

I know the original Sega Master System is really the one to go for when you need that 8bit Sega fix, but I have to admit, I have a soft spot for the Master System II. Its the version I've the strongest nostalgic connection to, and is a nice little compact machine too. Unfortunately, Sega went a bit cost-cutting crazy on it, and removed some of the features the original model had. Notably, the RGB output is now gone, replaced with that staple of connectors, the RF output.

RGB Amp (Active/Bypass) Kit - https://www.consolesunleashed.com/product/sega-master-system-model-2-rgb-video-bypass-amp-mod-kit/

Switchless Region Kit - https://www.consolesunleashed.com/product/sega-master-system-model-2-switchless-region-mod-kit/

I noticed that Consoles Unleashed ^^ offer a *superb* little mod kit that proclaims to restore RGB functionality which seems to be incredibly straight forward to fit, is non destructive, and importantly, is reversible should for any bizarre reason occur that RF functionality need to be restored. I also went for the switchless 50/60Hz kit too, because it'll be nice to be able to switch between regions without having to modify the case for a toggle switch. So lets crack on & see if it these kits deliver on their claims!

^^ I bought this Master System II a while back. The seller suggested it had issues reading carts, and condition wise it looked a small bit under the weather. So it seemed a perfect candidate for modding.

^^ The sole video output connector...RF in all of its glory.

^^ It'll need a fairly intensive deep cleaning too, dust has penetrated into every grill/vent on the system.

^^ A lot of dust contamination, and there's noticeable corrosion on the RF shield. I'll likely clean/respray the RF shield at a later date, for now, the focus will remain on the RGB mod & the Switchless Region mod.

^^ The pcb needs a good de-dusting, I'll get to that later.

^^ The absolutely ingenious RGB kit. Watch how this goes together...

^^ First up is a goodbye and good riddance to the RF Modulator. The de-soldering gun came in pretty handy here, just change to the tip to a larger than normal one to accommodate the pins on the modulator, and it came out quite easily.

^^ Not shown here, but you need to de-solder the other large pads that lie between the two shown, and the one on the edge of the ground plane.

^^ A quick cleaning then of the pcb that the RF Modulator was on, because from here it'll no longer be accessible.

^^ The two plates/sub-boards line up together, and then the x4 pins are soldered into place between the two boards.

^^ The board then locates into the mounting holes for the RF Modulator. Solder is added to the three support pads.

^^ The new video output connector is positioned, and soldered to the mod board.

^^ The next piece of the mod board, simply attaches directly to the top of the video output connector.

^^ All soldered into place, ready for wiring.

^^ The wiring is quite straight forward, with Consoles Unleashed website offering detailed instructions/photos.

^^ Time to test.

^^ A beautiful RGB image appears (not done justice by using a flat panel tv OR my phone camera.) The image is sharp, vibrant, clear, without jailbars, and a visual treat.

^^ I gave the cart slot a good cleaning with IPA, and the system seems to have no issues reading carts, happy days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭Inviere

Next up, the switchless region kit. This will allow me to switch between 50Hz and 60Hz simply by holding the Pause button on the console for a second or two.

^^ The kit itself. In this kit comes templates for drilling a hole for a light pipe/power/region indicator (there's an SMD Led on the mod board itself.) However, I've chosen NOT to use these in this case. I don't want to make any cosmetic modifications to the case, so the kit will remain invisible.

^^ Trace cut, as necessitated by the instructions.

^^ IC leg cut, lifted, and insulated. I chose to cut the leg rather than cutting another trace, and also not to bend the leg out of the pcb via (there's a risk of snapping it doing this.) At least this way, it's very easily reversible.

^^ Region board installed, and prepped for wiring. You can see there's expand-ability baked into this board if you want to use it with a dual frequency oscillator, or indeed if you want to ad the FM sound module too.

^^ Starting the wiring...

^^ Wiring done. Again, very very simple install. Ready for testing...

^^ Sweet. You can see the green LED indicating 60Hz, and then by holding the Pause button (which still works as a Pause button if singly pressed btw), it switches seamlessly to 50Hz.

Time for a cleaning, and reassembly...

^^ Bath time. That Sonic sticker has to go. I know it's probably there years and might add a bit of character to it, but I want to get a stock looking system from this.

^^ The RF shielding sits stop the Region mod board, so that's an issue.

^^ A quick & dirty flex bend at the right point, and we make enough space for the mod board to play nicely with the RF shield.

^^ A bit of tape to insulate the RGB board wiring. There wasn't any interference, but just in case.

^^ All back together, wiped down, and ready for testing.

^^ Wonderfully, you can see which colour the LED is without having to drill for the light pipe. It defaults to 60Hz (Green) anyway, and I don't envisage much reason to change it often.

^^ Job done!

^^ Look at the fit and allignment of the RGB connector....it's basically factory. Fair play Consoles Unleashed, an absolutely quality modding experience with these bits today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nice clean job.

If you're looking for something to help the outer shell I recommend grabbing yourself some 303 Protectant. Its awesome stuff to just wipe down plastics and helps hide scratches, gives a slight matte finish and seasons the plastic to extend the life of it(as well as UV protection). Works well on black and white plastic, just avoid using it on clear plastics or acrylics.

It really keeps the dust off as well. I was really surprised just how well it kept the Megadrive I have out in my workshop free of dust when everything else had a good layer of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Lovely job. I got a couple of mods from consoles unleashed a while back for my ps1. Very tidy solutions also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

It really is amazing how much mods have improved in terms of ease of install and features. These quick-solder-board type mods are brilliant and almost fool-proof, wish something similar was around when I was installing Messiahs into PS2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I am really loving these non destructive mods, the RF port in the casing becoming an RGB Din port in this is particularly pleasing to see.

I'm the same, I find them very appealing to do. There's a nice feeling knowing the console hasn't had destructive cosmetic modifications done, while at the same time, you're adding things like RGB & switchless region changing in this case. I'll be adding a 50/60Hz switch to my Jag soon, and I'm determined to find a way to do it without cosmetic alteration.

All those switchless region mods operate the same way more or less.

Wait for RESET to be held long enough and toggle a pin - some are a bit fancier like the Megadrive where it also changes language settings and can handle Active High or Low RESET.

Good chance the one you installed in the SMS will work in a Jag if the RESET logic levels are the same.

The Jag doesn't have a reset button, so I assume you'd have to figure out a way to do it via the controller logic somehow? (long press of controller button)

• Advertisement

No reset button ? Shows how long it is since I sold mine !!

The controller is like a mini keyboard matrix so ya should be able to read a button combo to switch regions, any little microcontroller would be ideal.

Pretty sure I changed mine for PAL to NTSC when I had it and was a simple enough mod I think

A small and boring update to this thread. Previously when fitting this mod board, I neglected to set the jumper that tells the board there was no FM module attached. This didn't seem to cause any issues, but it just didn't sit right with me. All sorted now.

Don't think I'd bother with the FM Sound board, as it means drilling the case.

^^ Jumpers left unset.

^^ All sorted.

Advertisement