Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix or Replace Tumble Dryer - Cheapest in the long run?

Options
  • 20-03-2023 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I have a Beko dtbc7001W condenser tumble dryer and the heater is broken.

Its energy efficiency rating is B.

I can fix it (by buying a spare heater) for €80.

Otherwise, I can replace it with a new energy efficient A++ heat pump dryer for €369.99

Which would be the wisest decision money-wise here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Answered on other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pricing has really come down for them, when I last priced one about 4 years back they were circa €800. Main thing which put me off them then was they can not be placed in a garage/outbuilding as they must be around room temperature to function correctly, as far as I know this is still the case.

If you have a family using it I would say the new machine makes most sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Last time around in a similar position I replaced the element in ours, it was about €100 for that, it's a bit of a pain of a job and delicate not to damage the element putting it in. If I had it in the house and it was €370 for a new heat pump one I'd have went with that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Buy new.

Not spending €80 plus labour (another 80?) is like getting a 50% discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It depends on the volume of drying you do and the age of the dryer really.

If the dryer has anything else wrong with it or is over 5 years old I would not repair it.

You can get an idea what your energy saving on the new dryer will be by looking at the energy certs.

One practical thing about these new dryers is that they are not very fast. On the other hand, they are much more gentle on clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We've had a heat pump dryer for 3 years now, takes a couple of hours to dry clothes but that's fine. We always leave it on the eco mode and let it work away

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They've changed the energy ratings recently as well, so the B rating on an old condenser would be closer to a c or d in the current rating scale

Advertisement