Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix or Replace Tumble Dryer - Energy Efficiency

Options
  • 20-03-2023 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have a Beko dtbc7001W condenser tumble dryer and the heater is broken.

Its energy efficiency rating is B.

I can fix it (by buying a spare heater) for €80.

Otherwise, I can replace it with a new energy efficient A++ heat pump dryer for €369.99

Which would be the wisest decision money-wise here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would ask has it been confirmed it is gone and not some other part.

Tumble dryers are the number 1 items to eat power and bring up electricity bill so i got rid of mine.

I use a 3 tier clothes horse to dry my clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭andybookie

Thanks

It's not heating anymore, so it is the heater near certainly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A heat pump dryer will likely save you a euro or so per use at current prices. They are slower. If you use it extensively it will pay for itself

An old B dryer would probably be F on the rebased scale; if it is a B from the prior standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I was in a similar boat and we took the new heat pump option and I have to say its the best decision we made. Yes it does take longer but it creates way less heat and it seems (could be all in m head) way less tougher on the clothes they always come out perfectly dry and not as if they've been roasted and then cooled.

You could spend €80 on the part only for something else to go and if you take your own time into consideration. If you can afford it go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

+1 for the heat pump option.

I spent 800 euro to replace a 2 year old condenser drier that was working OK. It gets used at least twice a day (5 kids!). There are cheaper heat pump driers, starting at about 500 euro, but I went for a Samsung one with a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

The condenser drier used 5.65KW per cycle, The heatpump drier uses 2.15KW per cycle, both values based on a "full load" from the information pages.

At 40 cent per KW, thats a saving of €1.40 per cycle, or €2.80 a day if used twice a day. Thats a full return on investment in less than a year provided energy prices stay as they are.

I don't have night rate electricity, nor do I want to run tumble driers and washing machines at night, the noise is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I had the same model beko dryer and heater went I splashed out on a bosch heat pump dryer that self cleans the condensor and wow its amazing dry clothes quicker than the condensor at a third of the price..i dont get a heart attack every time i hear the dryer going anymore and I notice the difference in the electric bills

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Advertisement