Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal currency conversion

Options
  • 20-03-2023 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

There used to bean option to avoid PayPal currency conversion and choose that of your bank.

I don't see this any more, unless I'm looking in the wrong places? I would like to use my PayPal balance to purchase items from UK, but not at PayPal extortionate rate.

Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can change the currency that your card is debited in via the wallet settings.

However, if you want to use a Paypal balance than you are stuck with the rate they apply.

You might be better off withdrawing the balance to your account and then link your favorite card in the wallet with £ as currency to get your banks exchange rate (or you could use one of those multi currency cards like Wise/Revolut/Bunq to save even more).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HyacinthBloom

Thank you. I have revolut but PayPal is (generally} a safer and sometimes the only payment option for some companies. EBay and argos UK are 2 examples. They want a card from their own jurisdiction so it's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Yes, but PayPal Buyer Protection (at least to the best of my knowledge) also applies if you use a debit / credit card or SEPA Direct Debit as payment source for PayPal, not only PayPal balance.

So, in your example you could withdraw the € funds to let's say Wise / Revolut / your bank and then make a payment in PayPal with a funding source of your credit/debit card in £. You need to go into your PayPal wallet and change the currency of the card to £ so that you get charged in £.

That works fine for me, I have both a $ card and a £ sterling card in my profile and when I make a payment I choose the appropriate card and I'm getting charged $/£ instead having PayPal convert the $/£ into € at their outrages rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HyacinthBloom

That sounds a good idea, thanks. I'll try that next time

Advertisement