Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability and inheritance

Options
  • 20-03-2023 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Here's an interesting one that I cannot advise on but thought I'd share it out of interest.

A woman I know is in receipt of a disability payment. Her son has been living overseas for over 15 years and is struggling financially.

The woman will receive approx 35,000 euro inheritance and wants to help her son. Her plan is to transfer all the inheritance to her son immediatly she receives it. This way he gets maximum help and she expects to continue to get full disability as her means have not changed other than for a day or two.

I could not advise her but wondered if there would be tax due by her son but as he may never return to Ireland I could not comment on that.

The moral and ethical question about whether she should keep the money and get a reduced allowance till it's gone is a seperate matter and I did not broach this subject as I appreciate her desire to help her struggling son.

Comments

€35k is under the limit allowed for Disability Allowance, so her allowance would not be reduced anyway.

As her son is non-resident, he would need to check out if he has any tax liability in the country he is resident in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

As Louze explains above, if your friend is in receipt of Disability Allowance then she can have €50000 and she would still get all of whatever DA she is getting.

She still must inform the Dept that she got this money and should send them proof of how much it is, for example a copy of the letter from the solicitor dealing with the execution of the will.

We wouldn’t know how the country he lives in will treat the €35000.

Advertisement