Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Major sponsorships expiring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,794 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Given the massive profile of Irish national and provincial teams internationally, all riding the wave of a senior men's squad in a historically strong run of success, I don't think any of these deals nearing the end of their current contract is going to overly concern the board rooms of Lansdowne Road or the four provincial HQs.

On the contrary, there may be something of a bidding war to be title sponsor or kit supplier to the representative sides.

I can only speak to my knowledge of Leinster and really I'd expect both Adidas and Bank of Ireland to roll over into new deals without much fuss. Indeed Leinster's biggest challenge now is getting the finance in place between themselves and the RDS to, at long last, rebuild the Anglesea Stand and present a home stadium suitable for an aristocratic European team in the 21st Century and probably also naming rights for the Stand, if not the whole Arena.

As for the Aviva and the Kingspan, I find ignoring short term sponsorships, in favour of the traditional stadium names is far easier.

Ireland won their last home grand slam at Ravenhill and it was great to see new successes enter the record books at Lansdowne Road and Musgrave Park this weekend.

See how easy that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Musgrave Park is a sponsored name isn't it? Relates to Musgrave group retail? Although I've known it as that name forever, I know the others are more recent names.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster have been in discussions with Castore for the kit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Nope. Named after an ex irfu president Jimmy Musgrave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Learn something new every day, thanks! I thought the Cork connection with the Musgrave group....but wrong obviously.

I've played club rugby there many a time, not from Cork or munster myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Jimmy Musgrave was a member of the same family that owned/own the Musgrave Group. He was involved in running the Metropole hotel when it was owned by the family.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20448600.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was chatting to a guy in Eleverys Sport and he said Addias is leaving the rugby market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

BLK apparently has folded although gear still does seem to be available online so I'm unsure of the status. But I'd be gobsmacked if they continue their deal with Connacht.

It's been whispered here and there but Castore are apparently looking at being the suppliers of Leinster.

They're a new brand and are gambling big time with their investments trying to make a dent in the sporting apparel market.

Most recently they've partnered with Red Bull F1 and McLaren this season.

I expect there will be at least one major coup of a significant premier league football team this season too.

If they're looking to get into the rugby market why not look at Leinster?

I have no opinion on their rugby kits at present but I wouldn't be unhappy to see the back of Adidas who have been extremely underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The contract expiry has come at an unfortunate time for Canterbury and Vodafone as renewal negotiations will be starting now while our brand value is probably as high as it has ever been.

But to be fair Irish Rugby has been one of the strongest Irish brands domestically for quite some time.

Canterbury have taken serious hits over recent years and I would expect they're going to go all in for renewal. They pedal a lot of gear with an IRFU logo on it.

Vodafone is a harder one to gauge. Will it still suit them strategically still to spend millions per annum on this? Is there another brand whose willing to fork out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Castore already make kits for Aston Villa, Newcastle and Wolves in the PL, Rangers in the SPL, Bayer Leverkusen in Germany and Sevilla in Spain. They'll be taking in Athletic Bilbao and Feyenoord in the Netherlands next season. They've already made a splash in the PL and are moving into Europe. They've also just been announced as the FAIs new kit manufacturer.

And they're already in the rugby market. They're the kit manufacturers for Saracens, Quins and Scarlets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I guess BLK are these guys?

They seem to be under liquidation at the moment.

Castore seem to have taken the Irish Football team contract off them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It used to be Irish Independent Park, I always thought it was a missed opporuntity for both the MRFU and Musgrave's not to have it sponsored, Centra's/SuperValue Musgrave Park would be great 😁

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wouldn't mind if Ulster ditched Kukri for Castore, their gear looks nice.

Kukri stuff has looked mediocre more often than not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In regards to sponsorship, they union is currently making a big profit every year and with the profile of the national teams as well as success of the provinces it's hard to see this changing. Irish Rugby | IRFU Announces Operating Surplus Of €5.9 Million For Year Ended 31st July 2022

The overall sponsorship is worth €12.7 million to the union (source Irish Rugby Football Union (d19fc3vd0ojo3m.cloudfront.net)), I would imagine that on renewal for any of the title sponsors that this will just go up. With Macron, Umbro, Cantebury and Sportif all doing international jerseys and the likes of Adidas doing club ones I'd say there won't be a shortage of bidders willing to bid on any of the club kits. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

JACC are/were just the Irish distributor and agent for BLK, New Balance, Umbro, Nike and a few other brands.

BLK are still trading, and will likely just appoint a new agent for the Irish market. From what I understand though, Connacht's deal was with JACC and not with BLK directly so unless BLK step in and negotiate to take on the contract then it's possible that Connacht could end up in the market for a new supplier fairly soon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theyre getting new supplier next season. BLK being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Got to be a reasonable chance that Ulster look to transition away from Kingspan.

Advertisement