Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh Marathon 2023

Options
  • 17-03-2023 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

Just wondering is there anyone else on this running the Edinburgh Marathon in May?

If so what's your target?

Any racing planned in the mean time?

Have you ran it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I ran it in 2018. Nice event, especially the first few KM through the city.

The out and back is a bit boring, but the mistake I made was not having enough fluids for when the wind was behind me. The wind was against me on the way out to the turn and I thought that when I turned it would be super easy. Because there was no breeze on my face, I got really hot and had no fluids with me. I slowed down here and missed my target by 2 minutes.

Getting back to the city on the buses is a bit of a hassle too, but not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I'm in too, haven't ran in 7 weeks after a metatarsal fracture but hoping for a BQ time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

I did my last long run today for this, I know it said a slow run but I was shockingly slow.

I'll be calling into the physio this week.

Oh well it's my last road marathon (but not trail) as I had forgotten how much the training takes over your life !!

Only 3 weeks to go, Yikes. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

How did you find it? I ran the Half in 1:34:05, really enjoyed it, I liked that the route took in the main landmarks in the first 4 or 5k, then the coastal route was nice after that, though the out and back to get to the finish line was a bit of a challenge. The 8:00am start made for a pleasant enough temperature during the first hour.

I ran the full in 2012 and really struggled to finish in 4:17 on a really hot day when I hadn't done enough training for it, so it was good to face those demons!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

I ran very well, the weather was nice and the course was fast, downhill for the first few miles and then flat, and the support at the end was great. But I dont know if I'd do it again.

The lack of toilets at the start, no expo worth talking about, the 3 stalls or so were closing up at around 15.30 on the Saturday. Not much in the Goodie box at the end either. What really annoyed me was having to pay 8 GBP for the bus back into the city centre from Musselburgh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

All fair criticisms... the buses were a decent walk from the finish area too, and with the traffic leaving Musselburgh I reckon it took as long to get back into town from the finish line as it did to run the half. While I paid the £8 for the bus, they never checked it when I got on.

Advertisement