Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is methadone addictive?

Options
  • 17-03-2023 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I mean psychologically. Obviously methadone is as physically addictive (and some people say even more) than heroin. I was put on 30mg for my misuse of codeine. While it was effective in curbing withdrawal and gave me pain relief, I have to say that I was very disappointed. It had a 'high' that was quite unpleasant and the nausea/vomiting was unlike anything I've experienced.

Having been off of it since December, I didn't crave it. This is the only opioid that has left me feeling like that. Even tramadol and hydrocodone which are arguably weak opioids had way more euphoria and 'mental itch' to do it again.

I wonder why GP's don't prescribe this to patients with chronic pain more often here. It's barely has a high and that high diminished after a week unless you increase the dose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalaxyExplorer

Yes, it can be addictive, thus why you were slowly weaned off. It can also be very toxic (the dose people are put on will depend on their tolerance with prior opioid use), and has some potentially nasty side effects.

It is used for pain in some settings, but rare. Well done on getting off of it, and beating your codeine addiction, sincerely, you should be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

Unfortunately I haven't beat my codeine addiction. My methadone GP took me off it because the addiction psychiatrist said I wasn't a suitable candidate for methadone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalaxyExplorer

You really need to get careful intervention to beat it. Life will be better without it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Best of luck Slither12, codeine addiction very common and a tough one to beat.

Advertisement