Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth line - what is going on ?

Options
  • 17-03-2023 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭

For the 2nd day in a row services have been suspended due to a signal fault In Clonsilla. They're still suspended as of now .

Id be worried about services before and after the rugby the way things are going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

There were overnight maintenance works around there on Wednesday night, and apparently cables might have been damaged, which led to the signalling issues.

That's what I read on twitter anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Irish rail just tweeted that services are not likely to resume this evening and there's likely to be further disruption tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Did lack of staff on the Bank Hol have anything to do with full suspension instead of turnback at Consilla and allowing Sligo operate.

12 hour shut down to repair cables followed by another 12 hour shut down almost exactly 24 hours later.

I was wondering that too. On previous occasions they had a manual operation , but for the service to be practically shut down on st Patrick's afternoon/evening crazy .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Polar101

They also had the announcement running when the services were actually running "normally".. very confusing.

(I think this was on Thursday evening)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hodges

There's a team of staff who are on hand for emergencies. On busy days such as St Patricks Day or events in Croke and the Aviva they are on site in Connolly to get trains in and out on time or with minimal delays. Knowing Clonsilla my money is on freelancestaff in the recycling industry helping themselves to metals known to have semiconductor properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

If that was the case then they'd have said it was due to vandalism.

I saw the bypass they'd ran to repair the cable on the 16th, and no sign of the original cable being vandalised/stolen.

Post edited by Citizen Six on

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Why does the Sligo train crawl from Connolly to Ashtown. Way slower than I remember it the 1990s.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is it so that it doesn't catch up with a commuter train to Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Didn't appear to be a train in Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Sligo trains have to run in between the Maynooth and M3 Parkway commuter services which stop at all stations, and this greatly reduces the speed it can travel at.

There are significantly greater numbers of commuter services now than in the 1990s.

There are no overtaking facilities between Connolly and Maynooth.

On the other side of that coin , there are gaps of up to 30 minutes for Maynooth trains at peak hour times so that the Sligo train can move at a pace .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well I’d hardly say that the Sligo train moves at a pace. 38 minutes to travel to Maynooth isn’t exactly fast, compared with historical journey times.

It’s also somewhat more complicated than you suggest, as you have to fit in M3 and Hazelhatch services as well which take up potential paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Haven’t seen this on the Maynooth line before. Looks awful. Like nobody cares.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are tenders out to do semi significantly overhauls to the 29ks (new floors, new seating) and I suspect that all but essential works will be left undone until those are due.

The lighter coloured door handle is what I think the original colour was, so presumably the spares weren't re-coated when the doors were!

Read this morning that the Metro want to close down Glasnevin junction for 21 months while they build a station there. And this will take place after the Dart plus will be up and running, with the maintenance depot in Kilcock. 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are almost definitely going to be told to mine rather than open-cut the station at Glasnevin meaning this would be a few long weekend possessions at best.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You shouldn't believe everything you read, because this is nonsense. It has already been discussed over on the Infrastructure forum. Basically they will close one of the two lines during construction, in phases, directing trains via the open line.

Advertisement