Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Rugby

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i remember reading and being astonished about rugby in sri lanka previously.

According to International Rugby Board figures, there are more than 103,000 rugby players in Sri Lanka, making it the second largest rugby-playing nation in Asia, behind Japan. A client of mine previously coached the national team over there, winning 2 Asian nations cup with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I've watched a good few highlights of Sri Lankan schools rugby, the standard seems excellent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think both countries are just hampered by naturally small physiques and no money. The player and fan base alone should make them competitive otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They'll get meaningful games against Australia, Fiji and Wales this autumn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

to expand on this point about Georgia. they have played full international tests against the 6 nations on 22 occasions and 6 of those tests have been in world cup group games. They have won the top tier of ENC for 13 of last 16 tournaments and came 2nd in the other 3. In most other sports theyd be playing the top sides all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Spain or Germany had had the success of Georgia over the last 20 years they'd have been welcomed to Tier 1 by now. Its a pity there isn't space for a Georgian team in the URC as that would be the next step for them I would think.

One worrying thing is the political situation in Georgia which won't help them.

On Madagascar, I remember reading years ago about how Rugby was the biggest sport there. Not sure what can be done for their development, they are currently 43rd in the world rankings so aren't even close to qualifying for a world cup.

The physical location of Georgia is never going to help it be attractive for a 6N spot either - it's a 6.5 hour flight from Dublin and is in a GMT +4 timezone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

And they also have a tiny population (3.7mn) in a very poor country ($5k USD a year GDP per capita). So they're bringing very little to the table financially, especially in terms of TV rights.

The financials are the biggest reason we'll see South Africa in the 6N before Georgia (or anyone else).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

whats stopping there being "emerging ireland" games against georgia, or similar competitions such as the Autumn Nations Cup or the Tblisi Cup?

more focus on actual competitions like that would be far more beneficial to georgia, while this "tier 1" tournament is happening, than playing one offs against tier 1 european sides.

These countries dont want those games and Georgias record to be fair deserves more than games against 6 nations emerging sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's true! But why can't the IRFU host a tournament with the likes of USA, Canada, ourselves and Emerging S.A? It gives young players and fringe players a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

because when would they find they time to take players from their provinces in the middle of the season to play second-rate south african teams then?

but yeah i agree tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wish we had a Euro's comp, say 2 years before the WC. Could be a great summer tournament, give the REC nations a regular chance to play against the 6Ns teams in a competition format. You could still have the Lions. 6Ns teams could use it as a good chance to develop players and prep for the WC.

sacrilege but....

i think the 6N should be every second year (lions and RWC years) and something like this should be in its place in the other years. it would never happen but i think it would be a good idea all round

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't hate that idea at all. Can't believe WR are seriously pushing for a plan that would effectively lock out Tier 2 nations for good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not unless what ever happens on the years it’s off cab generate €55 million in revenue for the IRFU..

well if there were some sort of pan-european tournament it would involve home and away games so it would probably get somewhere near that

it would never happen anyway, i just think it would be a good way of bringing some of the other teams into regular competition while keeping the 6N. id have the rugby championship do something similar too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Unfortunately turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. I can’t see any of the unions giving up on the cash that the 6N brings.

Though maybe a tournament with the 6N’s A teams and the developing European nations could be a runner. Like an expanded version of the Tiblisi cup that happened a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

You could rotate say Georgia, Belgium, Romania in and out of the 6/7/8 Nations and keep the 6 current nations permanently in there.

I think the best way to do it is to create a second division in the URC with teams from around Europe, Argentina, Georgia and introduce them to the professional game in that way.

There will always be protectionists, but if it can be demonstrated to them that their revenue/place will not be threatened and that the introduction of new teams will just be an inclusive step without introducing relegation, then those people might buy into it.

ive stated already that i dont actually think this will happen

i dont think rotating teams will do them much good tbh. italy have been playing better teams for 20+ years and it not showing much in terms of payoff yet, the teams mentioned only playing every 3/4 years wouldnt help them that much

anyway the LNR would most likely throw an absolute hissy if there was another international weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrattonFred

Why not just hold a european cup every four years and ditch the 6Ns that year?

If WR are serious about developing the game, then a regular tournament is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

The only change to the 6N likely to be made in the near/medium term future is an expansion to 7N to include South Africa. Because thats a huge financial winner for the existing 6 unions. They're not going to agree to any change that reduces income (like moving to a tournament every two years) when they're all struggling so much financially as it is.

The best the lower tier nations can probably hope for is a second tier competition running alongside the 6N at the same time (since players will be away from clubs then anyway) in the manner of the Challenge Cup with the Champions Cup. Georgia / Romania / Portugal / Spain / Russia or some similar combination, with a Friday night and Sunday evening game each week, could get a decent bit of traction.

We already have the rest of Europe playing in international competition same time as 6 nations with promotion/relegation between all bar 6 nations and enc 1a. This has ran for years.

SA aren't joining 6nations Aby time soon. And for sake of everyone I hope they never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

With the nature of tests being only single digits a season it’s best to keep SA in the Rugby Championship timezone difficulties aside. That shouldn’t matter for 8 games a season. Isolating Australia and NZ isn’t good for the game. Japan should be included and it has the makings of a fantastic tournament. It makes sense on a club level to be in their/SA timezone however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's nothing stopping Georgia from inviting a Tier 1 nation to the Boris Paichadze in November but instead they want World Rugby to do the legwork. The 6 Nations, Rugby Championship and Autumn Series didn't become the success that it is today by getting World Rugby to do their work for them while they sat back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's up to 11 games a season so not exactly single digits, good points though.

As it currently stands we have the 3 powerhouses of the Southern Hemisphere, SA, NZ, Australia in one competition and the 3 powerhouses of the northern hemisphere, Ireland, France and Scotland in the other and both competitions backed up by a few fringe teams. If we upset that balance we would have 4 teams in the north Vs 2 in the south and would also screw up the Autumn Internationals as you'd have the 4 6N teams competing for the 2 remaining SH teams

Not good for any country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

You do understand that the tier1 nations will be playing in this hemisphere competition don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe a cross hemisphere tournament every 4 years. I.E, 3 6nation teams play Oz, Japan, and Argentina. And S.A, N.Z and a pacific islanders team comes to the 6nations?

Regarding Europe, the Tblisi cup or something similar would be a runner. Say the Saxons. Wolf hounds, Georgia, Romania etc play a K.O competion?

Advertisement