Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Parking Permit

Options
  • 15-03-2023 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I applied for on-street resident parking permit at Cork City Council and it got rejected because now they have started asking for documents from pre year 2004 about the property.

Does anyone know any workaround for this which can help me to get a parking permit.

I will be really thankful if anyone know what to do in this case.

Thankyou.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

People here might be able to help you but you need to provide more information.

Did you apply for a city permit or a Douglas permit?

Did you say you owned or rented the property?

What documents are the Council looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The city council teat parking permits as a privilege, rather than a right.

I suspect that if you can't provide them with what they are looking for, they will refuse your permit.

Sorry, but that seems to be how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Imsaga

@lostinsuperfunk @the beer revolu

I appreciate your response guys. I applied for city permit and live in a rented house. Apart from basic documents, additionally the council have now started asking for any one of the following doc when applying for new car park permit.

• lease agreement from pre-2004 showing the property was in apartments.
    • confirmation letter from the ESB that an electricity connection for the apartment was in existence pre April 2004
    • RECI Cert (shows that the apartment was connected to the ESB grid) from pre-2004
    • purchase contract/transfer deeds showing property description (suitably redacted)

I also approached Cork City planning department to get more detail about my house and came to know that my house has been apartment since 1980's as there was no planning application record was found on their website. This itself means that the property is in same state from ages and was not changed or modified for decades.

There should be no need of asking such documents from pre year 2004 in this cases. City Council is very determined in asking this document as they wont give me permit without these doc and is not ready to accept any other legal points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Essentially, ccc want to reduce the number of permits in the city.

It seems any obstacle that can be put in the way, will be.

The other side of this is that the system was abused for years by people not actually living in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Cork City Council eased back on the documentation requirements for parking permits a few years ago, but it looks like they are back with a vengeance now. Those requests are totally unreasonable. They are basically asking you to do their homework for them.

The only advice I can suggest is to try to speak to someone in person at City Hall. Be persistent and bring your documents with you. They probably have issued permits to previous tenants at your address before.

You might be able to check old electoral registers (pre 2004) at the City Library ... or at Cork City Council ... to see if your address had multiple tenants then.

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to try contacting your local councillors (all of them) and ask them to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Imsaga

Hi All,

Sorry for this late comment but I managed to get the parking permit with the help of the electricity connection letter from ESB.

ESB gave me letter for my place saying that my house was connected to their grid even before year 2004 and this helped me to get the permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes, they've really ramped things up this year. I was able to get one for the last number of years with just a household bill and my vehicle registration. This year I had to get all sorts of additional documents including a signed document from a Commissioner of the Peace.

The thing is I never see any Parking Wardens about so it seems like, as a measure to reduce cars in the city, it has not been fully thought through.

Advertisement