Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire at Nantes airport, France this June

Options
  • 13-03-2023 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Looking for recommendations for a weeks car hire this summer, flying into Nantes and driving up to Brittany.

Loads of booking sites including Autoeurope.ie which I have never heard off which throws up the usual companies, wonder if there any local companies to use which do full insurance/zero excess.

Got royally burned with car hire in Amsterdam a few years ago with Hertz so want to avoid that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I've used Autoeurope a good few times for trips to France and just like Argus, Skyscanner etc. they do produce results from the usual known companies as you say. I've had no issue with any rental I booked through them and will use them again.

You will see results from the odd company that is not one of the majors, Carjet and Rentscape come to mind, but before I'd use one of those I'd google their reviews. Carjet for example get terrible online reviews and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole as a result. They're not always a whole pile cheaper either.

Regarding the full insurance/zero excess I use carehireexcess.ie who do an annual policy for €50 which is great value if you plan to rent a car anywhere in Europe more than once in a year. Just had a look there and they also do daily cover from €2.99 which is way better than the daft rates the rental companies will try and hard sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathalosullivan

What did you end up going with in the end? We intend on doing something similar in September

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭piaget

Used Europcar, got a VW Taigo with full insurance, nice car and pretty seamless.

A lot of companies have mileage limits, mine was 1750kms but I was well under at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Carjet left me and family high and dry in Bologna. Avis came to rescue but at 659 versus 350

Carjet don't even have customer support

Scam alert

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Manhuhu

Anyone had experience to rent a car with Debit Card in France?

Me and my friends want to rent a car for our trip in Nice. We have booked trough Keddy by Europecar, the agent in Ireland told me they do accept Debit Card but I rang Europcar in Nice Airport, they said it would depends on the day if their could deduct the deposit from my card.

Appreciated if anyone could give some advise please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Most carhire places will allow you to use a debit card provided they can take the deposit (which could easily be as high as 2.5k) in your card. It’s not a great option unless you have plenty of cash in your account. Agreeing to pay for additional insurance will generally reduce or eliminate the deposit but easily 15-20 per day.

Advertisement