If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BER rating after Extension

  • 13-03-2023 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

    Hello Friends

    I bought a NEW 3 bed house recently (A2 BER rating) and planning to start extension work in few days (extra Living room in backyard so not breaking any walls etc).

    Due to cost issue I am thinking to hire a local builder who works on cash only (I assume no receipts will be provided). I got to know that we have to do BER assessment after extension work . I am not planning to sell/rent at least for next 5-7 years. Appreciate if someone can answer by queries below -

    1. Is BER assessment only required if I plan to sell/rent ? Or shall I do it immediately after extension ?Bank will ask at the time of mortgage renewal ? (my next renewal for mortgage is after 5 years )
    2. I have also read that invoices with proof of extension work dates required for BER assessment, so if I don't get invoices from builder how assessment will get done ?

    I appreciate any guidance in this matter. Thanks

Best Answer

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    Mod Note: Guidance would be to pay tax/VAT! We do not allow discussion of ways to avoid/evade paying tax/VAT on this forum.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 coolraj28

    Thanks for your guidance. Agree, I was just thinking but seems better to hire a builder who provide me invoices.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭phormium

    Know nothing about BER but regarding bank/mortgage, presume you mean you are on a 5 yr fixed and will have to choose another rate in 5 yrs time, that is not really considered a 'renewal' of mortgage, it's just a continuation as such. No questions of any sort will be asked by bank about house/income/whatever at that time. The only time you will have to consider questions with bank is if you decide to switch lender at that stage or any stage during the mortgage.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

    You have bigger problems. If you ever go to sell you will be asked for certs to say it complies with building regs. You won't have them. Some builders will look so some cash but not 100%. You could say you did direct labour but you still have the problem of certs. I wouldn't do it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 11 coolraj28

    Thanks for your reply. As my extension is around 25m2 I understand don't need planning permission. So May I know which certificates you are referring here ? Appreciate everyone for your guidance.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

    Even if you don't need permission you still have to comply with the build regulations. When buying a house with an extension your solicitor will ask the vendor for them. If they don't have them then they can't let you draw down a mortgage without telling the bank first.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

    If you have a problem/major snag issue on site, you have nothing to prove who done the work or who needs to come back and rectify the problem. This cash-only work is the main reason cowboy builders stay in business. I would be highly nervous to use anyone who only works for cash. How does he procure materials? on the black market? very few reputable builders merchants deal in large sums of cash

    You should get the builder to sign a letter / book whenever you pay them. Dont pay them upfront.

    You will need them to issue an opinion on compliance - again you could draft the letter and get them to sign it as a "master craftsman"

    If you are concerned about the insulation, get him to allow you pay for that separately( and you will have the invoices you need)

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭phormium

    You can get an architect/engineer to supervise the build and issue cert for anything needed, if no permission is needed the letter can confirm that. I built an extension recently and the builder was all above board and all that but still I got an engineer so that I would have those certs etc should I be selling in the future. It didn't cost me that much and well worth it, the engineer made several visits, don't know how many exactly and the builder took detailed photos of work as it progressed in case engineer had any queries between visits, all worked very well.

    The builder couldn't really provide a cert anyway I don't think but maybe I'm wrong!

  • Registered Users Posts: 11 coolraj28

    Thanks for taking your time, this sounds good to me, appreciate again.