Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practicalities around a separation re paying bills etc.

Options
  • 13-03-2023 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Have recently separated from my wife and I moved out of family home a number of months ago and am renting elsewhere…….

Over the years my OH would have done the weekly shopping mainly ,bought most clothes for kids,schoolbooks etc.

I paid all household bills,electricity,water,Broadband,TV etc and paid for servicing our cars etc and family holidays.

We both work in similar paid jobs so both pay 50% of mortgage.

My solicitor has advised me to move the household bills in our Marital home to my wife as I’m renting elsewhere with all the same type bills there too to be paid and am seriously stretched financially.My wife is ok with this as I’m still paying half mortgage and have continued to pay all bills since moving out.

So from a practical perspective is there much into stopping the Direct debits coming from my account for likes of ESB,Broadband,TV etc and transferring them over to my wife’s bank account for her to take over paying them?

How long does that kind of process take?…..do I need to contact the respective service providers like the Electric/Broadband …..or my bank to ‘reroute’ the payments to my OH account?

She is fine with taking them on.

Thanks very much for anyone’s advice and apologies for the long post.

Post edited by Runswithfeet on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

As the direct debits would be paid from your wife's bank account it would need her to send updated direct debit mandates to her bank and/or the utility companies.

You would also need to cancel the direct debits for the same that are currently being paid from your account.

You should synchronise the changes in direct debit mandates with your wife to make sure no pyments fall through the cracks in the changeover.

Men always get screwed in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Thanks for reply…..so I need to pass on the details for the bills to her and she then goes to sort it with her own bank?

Where would she get the aforementioned ‘updated direct debit mandates’?

Is it off the respective service providers?

Thanks again for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

You call the providers with a meter reading and close your account. Then your ex spouse sets up their own accounts, in their own name - as if you were moving house., Your involvement in this should only be to the point of closing the existing accounts, after that your ex is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

You need to let your OH know you are cancelling DD on a certain date and they take over paying the next bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement