Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Jacket Repair

Options
  • 12-03-2023 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

have a very nice designer rain jacket, which can qualify for more formal and informal wear that I managed to get ripped to the extent that there is a 1.5 centimetre diameter hole in the sleeve, so no longer water / rainproof…. obviously that hole will get larger with wear unless a repair is made….It’s one of my favourite clothing items, otherwise perfect condition, looks well and unbelievably comfortable to wear..it was about 160 euros when i bought it 6 years ago. That was a sale price too.

im wondering if there are any tips on repairing one ? I have a couple of old rain jackets that could be cannibalised and which have also dark / black colours…. Maybe someone could recommend a decent adhesive or another way of enacting a repair..?

the 1.5 centimetre rip isn’t significant so no sense in splashing out good money on another jacket if it can be repaired…but obviously no use unless it can be, thanks. I just really like that jacket.

(apologies if this is the wrong forum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is very difficult to answer the question without being able to see the garment. Is it a clean rip or is it ragged, is it a round(ish) hole rather than a rip? Is the jacket lined? If it is a clean rip possibly the easiest way of repairing it would be to put an adhesive patch on the back ; in order to do that you would have to unpick the lining at the shoulder/top of the sleeve for access. If it is a hole you really need to find a small piece of the same fabric from somewhere else on the coat.

You really need someone who can figure out what needs to be done. At this stage you are getting into professional repairs and you would be better to find a repair and alterations place that can do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the rip is actually in the body of the coat, not the sleeve, been a while..

the coat is lined. Thanks…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is that on the front beside the zip?

Its rather a large, ragged hole that is going to show whatever you do, it will not be an invisible repair.

To fix it from the outside you would find an exactly matching piece of fabric (preferably taken from elsewhere on the garment, it is going to look terrible if you try and use other fabric). If you get it wrong you will make it worse than it is. That kind of treated fabric is difficult to hand sew and the hole appears pretty damaged round the edges.

I wrote out detailed instructions but even if you are an expert sewer it would be very difficult to get a good finish, if you are not an expert you would be advised to get professional repair.

Advertisement