Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American presidential history 20th century

Options
  • 12-03-2023 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Anybody a fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

I have read biographies of Wilson, FDR and Truman

Moving into Johnson and Nixon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Care to add a comment one way or the other on some of them?

I think Wilson was a decent president even if he made a mess of getting the treaty through Congress.

Both FDR and Truman defended Democracy.

But FDR failed to realise the Japanese threat

Johnson was overall post 1965 a disaster and allowed the arrival of Nixon and all his noxious successors - Bush and Trump being the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Robert Caro's majesterial four volume biography of LBJ (with a fifth still to come) should keep you going for a while.

I was tempted to read it but he hasn't even got as far as 1965! He is still writing the last volume.

It's way too much.

I'm just finishing the FDR biography by Jean smith. Over 15 years a president and just one volume!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For an interesting book on how Bush Snr. coped with and shaped the end of the Cold War, "When the World seemed new" by Engel is a good read.

A bit unfair on LBJ. Sure he got sucked into Vietnam but he introduced Medicare and Civil Rights bills and was generally socially progressive.

Warren Harding would probably top most peoples lists of the worst 20th century presidents.

If you are interested check out Iain Dale's podcast series based on his anthology of essays about all the American presidents.

Thanks that's great. I don't think LBJ was totally at fault for Vietnam.

Kennedy and Eisenhower played roles too.

It might have been better if Johnson ran and won in 68. He could have ended war sooner knowing he wasnt running in 72.

Nixon did not want to be running for relection with a Lost war in 1972.

Would Johnson even have got the nomination in '68?

I think if he promised that the war would end. That he was willing to sue for peace. He might have had a shot. Particularly once Kennedy was killed

He was in peace talks in 68. Kissenger was involved for Johnson and leaking info to Nixon which was probably treasonous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement