Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNBC Sound Quality

Options
  • 12-03-2023 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why the sound on CNBC is so utterly awful on Sky?

It’s fairly unlikely that Late Night with Seth Meyers is recorded down a phone line and it seems incredible that a major TV company can’t get their sound right.

I’m not expecting Dolby 5.1 or anything fancy, just bog standard stereo television shouldn’t be challenging in 2023.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Both SD and HD versions sounds OK on my FTA box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

SD is okay on my Zgemma H7S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Just sounds extremely tiny and poor quality on Sky Q. No issues with any other channels, well except some of the random obscure ones with awful production quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've never seen an issue with the HD version during the day with sound or picture, wouldn't typically watch it at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I sometimes watch Seth Meyers on CNBC HD on my ZGemma H7S and I've also noticed that the sound quality has deteriorated recently. I thought it might have just been something wrong at my end, so it's reassuring to see that others have noticed it too. So it seems that it's not just limited to Sky boxes.

There's definitely distortion. I wonder if it's just affecting programmes sourced from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I suppose a lot of CNBC’s target audience watch it at work with the sound off? Might be why issues may go unnoticed. The picture quality has never been the best although not as bad as it was (particularly during US business day programmes) twenty years ago.

Try changing/swapping Hdmi cable when units powered off.

Whats your signal levels like on that channel.

The signal is fine. It's not glitching or anything like that. It's just poorer quality sound - flat and over compressed.

Did you try doing a manual scan on that frequency and see if it changes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

CNBC has a slightly lower audio bitrate than the other channels on its transponder 256 vs 384 kbps, not sure if that makes a big difference.

• Advertisement

My ears must be sensitive, but it sounds flat and compressed to me.

Advertisement