Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to edit a homepage in WordPress

Options
  • 11-03-2023 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭

I have no experience in WordPress, but I find myself trying to edit a website built in WordPress.

I understand the idea of <Pages>, I can see the list of pages, and I sort of understand how the navigation menu works.

It's the homepage that I want to edit. It displays a logo and e-mail addresses that I want to replace.

(I don't want to reveal the real website here)

I see Appearances>Themes on the WP dashboard, and I suspect this is important.

Under Settings>Reading, it states that the homepage is always a static page, which is called "Home"

On the list of Pages, the page called "Home" is marked as the Front page, good, and if I edit the "Home" page, I do not see the logos and e-mail addresses.

This is why I suspect that I should be trying to edit a Theme, rather than editing a Page? Does that sound correct?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

When I go to Appearances>Themes, it says that the active theme is a Bare Theme, and there is a Customize button.

I can also click on Theme details, but this doesn't seem to help?

If I choose Appearance>Customise, I see this:

and the homepage is displayed on the right. I can see the logos and e-mail addresses, but I can't edit them.

Site identity = no good

Menus = no good

Widgets = Your theme has 3 widget areas, but this particular page does not display them.

You can navigate to other pages on your site while using the Customizer to view and edit the widgets displayed on those pages.

???

Homepage Settings = no good

Simple Custom CSS = code, too much for me

Additional CSS = nothing

I am stuck............

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

you are correct in editing the home page. that is your front page, but it will hold the content of the page itself, not the menu etc along the top of the main template design. If your theme has an option called 'Customise' click that and scroll through the options as sometimes it has options to change the site logo etc.

If the info is on the page in the content, when you edit the Home page, make sure its not set to html mode (if you dont understand HTML) and make sure its on Visual mode instead. that way you'll see the image etc rather than just text

Advertisement