Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Electric Cert cost

Options
  • 10-03-2023 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Good evening all,

Hopefully someone can help me out. We've recently had our attic converted and a couple of extra circuits added. Builder used Safe Electric certified electrician. Builder is coming back with a chunky cost, on top of the electrical cost, in terms of getting the cert. I'm skeptical here but may be completely wrong, hopefully someone can shed some light here/point me in the right direction. Don't want to be taken for a mug and trying to make up a few extras that don't exist either also..... thx in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

There is no payment required for a cert , any electrical work done in your house requires a cert ,

only thing I can think of is , the existing electrical installation , what age is that ? And condition, On the cert there is questions to tick off , which might not be possible if your own home is old and needs electrical work

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Hi JL Spark, huge thanks for the reply.

Our house is a relatively new build, late 2015. The attic was converted so it was essentially additional circuits traced back to the fuse board for plug/light circuits. No electrical work was done to the house outside of the attic only.

So am I safe to say that there should be no additional cost for a cert? Is this referenced anywhere on Safe Electric website/similar? I'd popped a message directly to them but haven't received a reply yet.

Appreciate your help & insights here!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

If your electrician has added new circuits to your home from the consumer unit , yes you are due a certification, and not at a extra cost either ,

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Thank you so much JL Spark. Do you know if there is anything around Safe Electric or similar that I can use to back this up and push back on builder? Acting the donkey here IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have a look on safe electric website. The cert isn't an optional extra. REC is required by law to issue you with a cert even if you don't actually ask for one. I'm pretty sure that is on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

Agreed

a certificate should be provided at no additional cost it’s a cert3 that should be issued to you alongside the associated test records sheet

page 2 of this newsletter

Post edited by meercat on

Advertisement