Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Solar/Battery to MyEnergi App

Options
  • 10-03-2023 6:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my current set up is

4.7kw array and 5.2 kWh battery.

GivEnergy Hybrid Invertor and battery.

Eddi (Master) with Zappi as slave and hub linking them together.

I have a spare CT clamp in the box that I was hoping I could use to display panel/battery usage on the myenergi app?

Battery and invertor is in the attic.

Eddi is in the hall 2 floors down.

Where does the CT clamp need to connect to? I assume a cable and then to eddi, but what cable?

thanks.

Picture of current app view.

Post edited by Gumbo on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You need to clamp the live cable coming from your inverter, unfortunately this is after the battery connection so the MyEnergi system will not be able to differentiate between power coming from PV or battery.

There are three CT inputs on the EDDI so you can just pop the CT wires into one of the ones not currently in use.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PV or battery I suppose it’s still green generation, so that wouldn’t bother me too much, but, that cable I assume is in the attic and I’d need to get it back to the eddi which is impossible now,

or is that the cable that enters the CU into the PV RCBO?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Mine only has 2 external the last I checked.. unless your counting the internal load one?

Yep to 1. In the attic or 2. In the CU?

The eddi is right beside the CU so that would mean it’s possible?

• Advertisement

Wherever is easiest, sounds like the consumer unit!

You should have a spare CT slot in the eddi. Looks like you only currently have a grid CT connected.

I do indeed only have the grid.

So I was reading up on it and I need to put the clamp around the cable at the back of the PV RCBO.

Im generally ok with electrics etc so the usually precautions apply about safe working but it mentions it should be around the live wire so I may have to strip the cable to expose the live core?

It works through insulation, Its unlikely that the outer insulation will be in the consumer unit, especially if getting it at the RCBO, It just needs to be around just the live. Its a clip on terminal nothing should need to be moved, only space could be a concern.

(It will work on the neutral too as the same current is flowing on both wires.)

Thank you. I will check it out over the weekend hopefully or early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

i did this over the weekend and to be honest its not worth it (i used a harvii with clamp) - as others have said you will see power coming from the inverter to the house - so that could be solar, battery, or both.. it just looks confusing so i disconnected the clamp.. i have the exact same setup.. givenergy hybrid inverter and battery..

• Advertisement

this is where an AC coupled battery has it's advantages as the MyEnergi app will be able to distinguish between PV and Battery and you have semi-control on charging your battery with the App e.g. I can force charge the battery by stopping the EDDI

I can do that with the GivEnergy app I believe.

TBH it’s more a “just do it” as I have a clamp there. I wouldn’t be going out of my way or paying to do it.

I don’t export much if any so the zappi is never out of fast mode.

Thanks guys.

Sorted today in about 3 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

that wouldn't bother me I must say, the battery supply is either solar or night rate ('he's an ex-9c!'), both non-peak renewable (if the latter is to be believed!) so if you shift your perception of what the battery is there for (supply of non-peak power), then it'd be good enough for me.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paul250657

Can you tell me how you managed to solve it?

I have a new and similar system.

The Myenergi app shows only Zappi and Eddi in addition to the house, grid and green circle in the middle - which shows no percentage value for green energy.

How can I get the app to show the green circle with the PV array and the centre green circle to show the percentage value?

I added an additional MyEnergy ct clamp to the fees from the invertor back into the consumer unit.

I connected that to the spare input on eddi and told the system that was solar/battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paul250657

Thanks for quick reply!

I do have a CT clamp on the feed to the consumer unit - but the Eddi is 10 yards away in the airing cupboard and connected to the hot water cylinder.

I also have a Harvi installed but not sure if I really need it.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jasgrif11

I have two solar setups (Solis with 16 panels and Sofar with 14 panels and DIY battery). I have a CT on each inverter. In Harvi I set the Solar as generation only (this was before I got the battery) and my app should a single solar image with the combines measurement.

Since I added the battery I change the Sofar myenergi CT to be Generation & Storage. See image below.

Should I also change the Solis to be generation and storage (even though battery is not connected to that inverter)?

Lastly is it possible to just show the battery and have solar generation separate?

All,

I'm noticing some strange numbers across the following apps

myenergi, SolisCloud, Solarmans and Home Assistant

I have taken screen captures from all apps at the same time of day

My Solis setup is reporting a today yield of 25.1 kWh and my separate solar setup connected via Solarmans is reporting a today yield of 27.78 kWh. This is a combined total of 52.88 kWh for both setups upto 6.04pm

Looking at myenergi it is showing a total generation of 25.3 kWh. Why is this (total should be 52.88kWh)?

Home Assistant is showing combined solar of 47.68kWh.

Note: I have CT clamps between the consumer unit and each inverter connected into my Harvi. One of the Harvi connections is setup as Generation and the other is Generation and Storage (as I have a 10kWh LifePo connected to the Sofar Inverter) I also have CT clamps on my LIVE and the cable from consumer to each inverter.

Are the inaccurate readings in myenergi and Home Assistant due the battery.

What is the ideal setup in terms of seeing the correct combined solar generation based on two solar installs and a battery? (oh also I had the EV plugged in and set to Eco+ most of the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭idc

As far as I recall MyEnergi don't really handle Solar+Battery correctly, check can you click "solar+battery" and see if they store any stats for it? I vaguely recall thats possibly the problem. I know on the screen of zappi/eddi if using solar+battery it stopped displaying the flow of energy from this to house icon. Check on myenergie forums but I think they didn't fully implemented this feature and most people suggest not to use it! I switched back to pretend it was just solar on my system. For my stats i tend to stick with those from my inverter app.

• Advertisement

I remember the kWh from both solar systems in myenergi seemed fairly accurate when compared with the individual inverter apps before I added the battery and changed it to generation and storage.

If I change the Solar with storage back to generation only it should fix this, but is there any other way to display LifePo battery storage in myenergi?

No way of getting the batteries into the myenergi system

Anything from batteries will be seen as generation

*only way is a separate battery inverter like the Sofar ME3000, clamp live AC wire from inverter to consumer unit and define as AC Battery on whatever MyEnergi device you feed it to eg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fantana2

If I want to do this but I only have a Zappi do I need to get a CT clamp from the inverter input tag the consumer unit wired back to the zappi? I don’t have an eddi or a harvi.

6.96kwp South facing

Advertisement